Hardware

Question

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001 BIOS freezes

By lee.reeves ·
Working on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001 that is freezing up about 3/4 of the way through the BIOS upon startup (according to the BIOS status bar). I tried the BIOS reset trick (remove battery and power plug, hold power button for 20 seconds, then plug power plug back in and start); however, the computer still freezes in the exact same spot in the BIOS. It doesn't prompt for a password or give any errors.
If I act quickly, I can press F2 rapidly after I start the laptop and it says "Please Wait" instead of the normal "Press [F2]for SETUP" option. The BIOS screen shows the Toshiba backgroun with the Celeron M logo, but just doesn't want to get passed that.
Other things I have tried:
- reseated memory and restarted: same..
- removed the wireless card and bluetooth cards and restarted without them: same..
- removed HDD and restarted: same..
- no sign on the case that there was any external damage... opened it up and it was clean and dry.
I created a flash Bios disk from Toshiba's website, but can't get to that point to where it is reading the drives. What am I missing?!?! I want to turn this laptop into a frisbee. Please help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Can a poor bond

by strayhead In reply to Drives are incompatible, ...

Thanks,
Can a poor bond between the motherboard and the connector for the DVD to be the problem. Because I have such fear.
To my regret there is nothing to do about it. Nor if the power system. Nor if the drive controller. (I think it's not incompatibility couse is the original)
In addition to changing the motherboard or leave the laptop without DVD drive...

Collapse -

Certainly.

by seanferd In reply to Can a poor bond

You could look up a repair shop capable with dealing with this (experienced person with the proper soldering equipment) to see if it is cheaper than replacing the board.

They can also test the system to precisely identify the problem.