Desktop

General discussion

Ultra 100 PCI controller card WIndows 98

By rebal ·
I have a i430 AT/ATX motherboard. I'm installing a new drive using a Ultra 100 PCI controller card. Originally I installed the drivers into an exsisting Hard Drive running Windows 98. Now I can't get the old drive to boot as well as the new drive. Itried a boot disk and the PC doesn't detect the floppy drive, (yes I have it set in the bios). The error I get is the device BIOS are not installed then it hangs. I've tried setting everything back to it's original state and now the original drive is detected although it doesn't get past the controller card script error. My files are still there. How can I uninstall the controller card drivers, or what do I need to do to install the Controller cards BIOS (If it won't recognize the A drive?) I've fdisked the Master boot record, I moved the card into another slot to avoid IRQ sharing still nothing.
Any suggestions, recomendations, anything? HELP!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bryan_hartman In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

check your manufacturer for an update

Collapse -

by rebal In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by schitzoid In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

The most likely prob with the floppy is that you have a connection worked loose, check the power, and both ends of ribbon. Happens all the time when adding cards. Is your boot sequence set to boot off of scsi? I know it's an IDE card, but you motherboard thinks its scsi! And yes, remove all cards but the video and disk controller, and in the bios choose reset dmi configuration disable anything you don't need. Not using USB, disable it! All your drives on the controller card? Disable the onboard! (you MIGHT need to use one of the on board ide channels for your CD.)

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Paul D. Masley In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

Beeb there, done that with a SE440BX. Remove everything from the PC except for the ram,video and hardrives. Make note of what PCI slot you are using. Go to bios. Change from IDE boot to SCSI boot. Reserve PCI slot under peripherls. shut down.Install floppy. Boot with good win98DE disk, no CD. If you can see drives. Great. Reinstall all cards. If you are using WIN98, it will ask for the ATA100 drivers first. Install them. Let windows fix the IRQ's. You should be ready to go.

Paul.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by mscoulter In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

OK, I just went through this...I have the answer but you are not gonna like it. <text deleted for brevity>
I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting and eventually the system was toasted to the point that it would not even restore from an ERU backup,which has always been infallable in the past. I tried deleting the driver files...I could give you the list but it will do you no good. There was a configuation incompatibility that I could not work out without a fresh start. Using a dos boot disk, I renamed the windows directory to winold...I renamed the program files directory to progold. I reinstalled win98 to a new directory named "windows" and rebuilt from there..I kept my root C files in place. <text deleted>
As soon as I had a fresh install of windows, I setup the ultra100 card first, then a legacy scsi ISA card for my scanner...then all the PNP cards. Now everything works beautifully, including the ATA100 card and the drive attached to it. Sorry that there is no easy answer, but if you go for this you will quit wasting time trying conventional troubleshooting methods that just don't work in this instance. I hope I have been clear and helpful...Feel free to email me with any questions. Good luck!

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity