Question

Vista issue - administration rights

By kidsrmylife ·
Okay I know that this has likely been discussed and I have already read a thread on this on here. however mine seems to be a bit different. I have already gone to the cmd prompt set administrator rights and at the prompt typed in net user administrator /active:yes

When I look at the control panel under user accounts it states that the user is an administrator BUT if I click him and actually check he is just a normal user, nothing actually changed.

I have tried other fixes the others have suggested... searched for the UAC under the control panel and there isn't one. He cannot get anything to work on this computer as he does not have any "rights" on it... I don't especially like vista... and am really learning to dislike it even more.

I need some help from those of you who know...

Thanks
Tammy

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

OK

by Jacky Howe In reply to Vista issue - administrat ...

when you typed in net user administrator /active:yes from an elevated command prompt, did you restart the System?

When I click on the Administrators account I get a screen that says: Make changes to the Administrator's account. The Icon says Administrator with Administrator underneath it. Are you saying that it has Administrator and underneath it has Standard user?

Did you create an account named Administrator prior to running the net user command?

If you did create the account then run net user administrator /active:no
and restart the System. Delete the account that you created and restart the System. Run the net user administrator /active:yes again and restart the System.

<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>

Collapse -

tech support...

by kidsrmylife In reply to OK

I had actually performed the net user administrator /active:yes with the HP tech support. I did this with my other HP computer and no issues, my administrator icon came up no problem. However on this particular computer, yes I did restart, and no the administrator icon did not appear automatically. Plus the user icon said that it was an administrator but only has user capabilities. I did create an administrator but we are still having issues with permissions and not being able to get past the popups asking for permission to continue. Then it doesn't let us continue because we evidently don't have the "right" credentials.
No I didn't create the Administrator prior. I had to actually create it afterward as it didn't create it for me.
So delete the said Administrator account and set the net user administrator /active:no , restart, then run the net user administrator /active:yes again then restart?

Collapse -

Silly Question

by The Scummy One In reply to Vista issue - administrat ...

Were you logged on with an account that has administrative permissions when you tried setting admin permissions on another account?

Collapse -

You can do it

by Jacky Howe In reply to Silly Question

from a standard user account but you still have to provide the administrative credentials.

Collapse -

Sometimes it doesnt work

by The Scummy One In reply to You can do it

and you gotta log on as admin

Collapse -

No...

by kidsrmylife In reply to Silly Question

No, but I can try that...

Collapse -

Since it is an HP machine

by The Scummy One In reply to No...

the administrator account is called HP_Administrator. Try logging on with this account

Collapse -

That's a newy

by Jacky Howe In reply to Since it is an HP machine

I would never have guessed that they would go to that extreem. WOW.

Collapse -

On mine and my bro's

by The Scummy One In reply to Since it is an HP machine

the admin account is HP_Administrator. I dont see it as an extreme, just to keep the HP name more visible.
I wonder, is Compaq called Compaq_Administrator???

Collapse -

So they

by Jacky Howe In reply to On mine and my bro's

didn't actually rename the built in administrator account.

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next