General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

VLAN question for voip setup

by rlynch2 ·

Hello,
    Im deploying some ip phones along with an ippbx and just had a question regarding vlans using the sonicwall enhanced os on nsa240. Want to make sure i have vlan and qos setup properly. I have a few cisco sg300 28 port switches that I have researched how to configure the vlans on, I have also researched how to give the phone themselves a vlan tag (say vlan200) from within their web gui as well. I was hoping that someone could help me with the sonicwall part of it all. It acts as our firewall/router and need to configure it for the vlans. I only have one drop in each office so the phone and pc will share switch port. I would have 3 of these switches because we have 3 separate building. From what I can see, I would give the phone a vlan tag that matches what I setup in the switch vlan200. So when they fire up, they know to look for the vlan200 dhcp and get the correct address info. What do I do with sonicwall? Just setup vlan as a subinterface on the lan interface and give it the 200id, or do I need to configure a completely separate physical interface like x3, or x4 for this vlan. Any help would really be appreciated, and let me know if you need anymore details about the network setup. I don???t necessarily need these two subnets to talk to each other, but would like both to have access out of the sonicwall to the interent. Thanks again???..

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Repost as ‘Q&A’

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to VLAN question for voip setup

Try reposting this in the ‘Q&A’ forum. The ‘Discussion’ forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The ‘Water Cooler’ is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to ‘Q&A’ here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you’ll find more of those members in ‘Q&A’ than in ‘Discussions’ or ‘Water Cooler’.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a ‘+’ does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won’t need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as “The Answer”.

thanks

by rlynch2 ·

In reply to VLAN question for voip setup

Thanks, I will do that now

Viewing 1 reply thread