General discussion

W2000 can't access shared folders on DOS

By Cathy P ·
My Windows 2000 computer cannot access shared files on a MSDOS computer with the Windows for Workgroups update. I have installed TCP/IP, Netbeui, Client for Microsoft networks, and File and Folder sharing on the Win2000 machine.

Other computers on the network, Win95, Win98, WinME and NT4, can access the DOS computer without any problems.

Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LordInfidel In reply to W2000 can't access shared ...

When the dos machine comes up online it will register itself with the master browser. If it tries to say I am the master browser, it should lose the election since the Nt4 OS trumps wow3.11.

Which I never asked that question..... This is WoW 3.11 and not just 3 or earlier.

And you are right, no one (in there right mind) uses netbeui anymore. IP is much easier. On my 2k upgrade exam from nt4 for the mcse, there was not a single question regarding netbios. hmmmmmm, you think ms is trying to tell us something.

ps. I appreciate the points. But Everytime you reject my answer, I have to repost, you can leave the thread open without rejecting. Just post a comment. You can also e-mail me with any questions.

But if I was your Net Admin, I would of have migrated all services to NT4 and went to the Domain model instead of peer to peer. And now a days I would run everything into a 2k active directory with all client/servers as 2k machines. That's just me though. And if I was you, I would push your boss into that direction.

Collapse -

by LordInfidel In reply to W2000 can't access shared ...

Somthing I forgot about TCP/IP....

Assuming that the criteria for connecting to the master browser is correct. And w2k needs ip to connect. I am also assuming you do not have a dhcp server, and you have not configured tcp/ip on any of the systems (only installed the protocol, which after it is installed assumes you are using dhcp to get address).

You will need to assign Ip address' to them. This is pretty simple if you are not connecting to the net. You only need 2 bits of informatiom, Ip address and subnet mask.

Here is a range that you can use. You can put up to 253 clients on this subnet.

IP range: 192.168.1.1-254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
(above is usually written as 192.168.1.0/24; /24= #of bits in mask, the firstaddress "0" is net ID, last address 255 is broadcast ID)

No gateway or dns server is needed since you are not connecting to the net.

Collapse -

by Cathy P In reply to W2000 can't access shared ...

I have been sidetracked to something else. I will probably get back to this in a month. Thank you for your help!

Collapse -

by Cathy P In reply to W2000 can't access shared ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
14 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02