General discussion

What would you think if Google released a $200 device for e-mail and Web?

By jasonhiner Moderator ·
Tags: Off Topic
-- When can get one?
-- So what?
-- Not enough power to be useful for me
-- Give me more details

This is the question we're asking TechRepublic members in our latest poll. What would your reaction be and why?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Not enough power to be useful for me

by BFilmFan In reply to What would you think if G ...

This device will be marketed to peopel that can't afford another $150 to get Dell's latest el cheapo model.

To really be revolutionary, they need to sell it for $50.

Collapse -

Hardware Outside of Google's Expertise

by Wayne M. In reply to Not enough power to be us ...

My initial reaction was, "Would it be around in a year?"

This market seems outside of Google's current scope, i.e., production of a hardware device and presumably providing and billing for a subscription service. Even if it was just branding Google's name on a resold device and service, it would not give me greater confidence for the long-term success of the product line. I would probably be much more comfortable seeing this type of product come out under the brand of a cellular telephone provider than under Google.

Google may or may not have the capabilities to pull this off, but I don't know that the market would believe that Google has this capability. $200 spent on such a device would probably be wasted money as the whole thing would fold in a year.

To give credit where it is due, please see Peter Drucker's "Management: Tasks and Responsibilities" for a much better description of choosing new product lines that I can possibly give. Warning - this is a massive book; I took a year to read the entire thing, but Mr. Drucker's writing is clear and concise and his insights are worth the effort.

Collapse -

Wayne -- Thanks for the book recommendation

by jasonhiner Moderator In reply to Hardware Outside of Googl ...

I'm a Drucker fan, but haven't read the book you mentioned. I'm adding it to my reading list.

Collapse -

so what?

by Jaqui In reply to What would you think if G ...

If I'm not at my workstation I don't need to be checking my email.

100% in contact means slave to others.

Collapse -

Don't need another gadget

by solson In reply to so what?

Already do web and email on computer. Don't need another gadget taken up space. Now if it could surf the web and retrieve email and allowed me to communicate directly with someone in real time, oh wait that would be my cell phone. No I do not need another gadget.

Back to After Hours Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)