General discussion

Windows 2000 Permissions, Rights, Etc.

By mrs_doctor_jones ·
Does anyone have any good, concise resources for Windows 2000 rights, permissions, ownership, etc.

Right now we're kind of winging it and keep running into problems with people being locked out of files and folders.

I need info on "what to do if x happens."

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Doesn't exist

by timwalsh In reply to Windows 2000 Permissions, ...

I fear that you may be looking for something that doesn't exist.

All the resources I have seen will explain about permissions, rights, etc. and some will offer basic troubleshootinginformation. But I don't think you will ever find a "if this happens, this will fix it" type of resource. There are too many different things that can possibly go wrong.

That's why forums such as this tend to be popular.

The first person to create a resource such as you are looking for, will become an instant millionaire.

The good news is that if you have specific questions, SOMEONE will usually be able to propose a solution the works.

Collapse -

New-thread for 160. address

by LordInfidel In reply to Windows 2000 Permissions, ...

If the nic assigns itslef an IP that is not in your range.

Usually it will mean that it could not get an adress from a dhcp server. If you do not have a dhcp server on the ntwk you willl need to assign a static IP to the nic.

If you do have adhcp server are there enough address' in the scope.
And if the system could not contact the server (nic did not start up in time) then it would assign an address like that.

Collapse -

Policies

by MCS-1 In reply to Windows 2000 Permissions, ...

I ran into a problem similar in nature to yours on a client's network. Rights and permissions were all over the place, half the systems on the n/w had fixed IP's, DHCP servers fighting for number control ..... a real dog's breakfast. Most of it from everybody in the office being a computer guru one day or the next, and everybody's "I know why..." troubleshooting techniques. Anyway, instead of trying to fix what was already a mess we pretty much pulled all the machines back to default, did a quick layout of machine/user (for rights and permissions) and then implemented it on the network. Once a policy was established that the "guy down the hall" can no longer be the net admin (until something goes wrong and then he scurries back to his office down the hall), and we had an roadmap of what was going on things started working ok. Granted, this work did take the better part of two days with myself and one other technician working on it, but it has already saved countless hours of downtime trying to troubleshoot the problems you are facing now.

Sorry that wasn't an answer to your question, but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents. You may want to think about trashing the whole thing and establishing a policy you can work with .... before your problem compounds.

Collapse -

He has a point

by LordInfidel In reply to Policies

When I started at this job centuries ago, their permission/file server scheme was archaic and unmanageable.

Everyone and anyone could put files wherever they wanted. I had to do a lot of deep folder level permissions that had no rhyme or reason to it.

It was just a mess.

One day I got fed up, created a file structure that made sense (departmentalized each area) Created logical groupings of users. And over a weekend moved ALL of the files into their respective areas.

The users grumbled for about a month until they got used to it. But then they got happy once they realized that they know where their files are and they do not have to go searching for them.

Plus now, when I need to give access to someone, I just add them to the group that has the appropiate access, have them log off/on, and poof their in.

Back to Security Forum
14 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02