Question

• Creator
    Topic

Windows runs very slow on my HP

by techguymsdst ·

I have a hp 6510b running Windows 7 Home Premium. This laptop runs slow. VERY SLOW. It takes like 5 miinutes to boot. I have used msconfig to go into startup and disabled everything there. I thought the installation might be corrupt so I ran sfc /scannow.. The install and drivers are fine. The only time I can get the laptop to speed up is by disabling the ethernet connector in bios and just using the wireless connection. Can anyone give some advice please? I have also checked the chipset drivers as well.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by techguymsdst ·

In reply to Windows runs very slow on my HP

Clarifications

Get the HP diags disk for that computer

by robo_dev ·

My first guess is that there is a hardware issue of some sort and a diagnostic test may show that.

Have you tried setting the BIOS to factory defaults?

Also, have you updated the BIOS ROM to the latest and greatest version?

Have you used system restore to go back to a point in time when the problem did not exist?

I would also completely uninstall the driver for the LAN adapter and download/install a fresh one.

another thing to try

by catfish182 ·

for the ease of use you may want to try a linux live environment. download any version of Ubuntu and burn it to cd. run the cd. it will start the OS without installing anything to your system. see how it behaves. try the lan connection. in doing this you should be able to separate hardware from software and know for sure where the issue lies. if you see improvement and nothing bad then its something in the OS. if you see the same issues then its hardware.
      from what you have described it honestly sounds like hardware so robo_dev sounds like a excellent first step.

Thank you

by techguymsdst ·

I will try what you’ve suggested and let you know how it goes

Viewing 3 reply threads