Question

Windows Server 2003 R2 with Remote Desktop Admin - Can't connect, no error

By mark ·
Using Remote Desktop Connection in Vista, I used to be able to successfully connect to a couple of servers running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise running Remote Desktop Admin (not full Terminal Server licensing in place).

Both of these machines were upgraded to Windows Server 2003 R2. Now, when a Vista (or XP for that matter) client tries to connect to either of those servers with RDC, they find the server (name resolution seems to work), and I'm prompted for credentials. The RDC applet greys out as if it's about to connect, then about 1 second later, nothing happens and I'm back to the RDC prompt (asking me for the server name again). No error. This occurs on both of the R2 servers (both running Enterprise, one is a domain controller, the other is not).

RDC functions fine when connecting to non-R2 2003 servers.

I don't show anything in the security log for these R2 servers that show that credendials were wrong. If I purposely enter the wrong credentials, the same effect, no prompt that the credentials were wrong.

DNS seems to be fine as I can ping and remote connect to these machines using other remote control software (Radmin). I've tried un-installing that thinking it was a problem with R2 and the video hook drivers, but no luck.

Firewall settings on the R2 servers also show that Remote Desktop is enabled as an exception. I've also tried completely turning off the firewall, no luck.

Terminal Services Manager is running fine and showing that RDP-TCP listener is running.

Thanks all.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

23 total posts (Page 2 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Telnet doesn't appear to connect on port 3389

by mark In reply to doh

Hi Scott, telnet servername 3389 just yields a flashing cursor, no error, so I'm not sure if I'm connecting successfully? I think I am , because if I telnet to a port that is not open, I am told "Could not open connection to the host on port xxxx. But telneting on 3389 does seem to connect.

Same effect on the second R2 server. 3389 seems to accept the telnet connection.

I have rebooted both servers multiple times.

Thanks again Scott for your help.

Collapse -

OK

by scott_heath In reply to Telnet doesn't appear to ...

Well at least we know that the service is in fact listening and accepting connections.

Just for grins, have you tried specifiy the port? Have you tried connecting using the /console option? Have you checked TS Manager to make sure it doesn't think you are connected? Have you check the App and Security logs on the client and server?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Collapse -

RDP is working, removing ATI Catalyst Suite did the trick

by mark In reply to OK

Hi Scott, just wanted to thank you for your assistance, it ended up being the ATI Catalyst Suite which is installed with the video driver (these servers have ATI Radeon X550's in them).

Removing the Catalyst Suite and using just the ATI driver alone did the trick. Don't know why as the Catalyst doesn't change the video driver, it just gives you a control panel utility. Go figure.

I've submitted a KB article request to AMD as it seems to effect at least 5 different Radeon cards that I have.
Thanks again,
Mark

Collapse -

I hate Vista

by TheVirtualOne In reply to Windows Server 2003 R2 wi ...

What kind of router do you have?
What version is it?
Do you have the latest firmware?
Is it VISTA compliant?

I'm on a mission here.

Collapse -

RDC - Router

by mark In reply to I hate Vista

Thanks o-VirtualOne.

The router is a Linksys RV042 on firmware 1.3.9, their latest. No info on the site about Vista support. But I get the same effect using RDC on XP (5.x and the latest RDC 6.0). Even between 2003 servers have the same problem. The only servers that allow you to RDC into them is the 2003 nonR2 boxes.

Happy Thursday eh?

Collapse -

2 things

by TheVirtualOne In reply to RDC - Router

the service is called RDP. not RDC. (pet peev)

buy a new router. I spend good money for these things and I suggest Watchguard.

Collapse -

RDP is working, removal of ATI's Catalyst Control Panel did the trick

by mark In reply to 2 things

Hi VirtualOne, just wanted to thank you for your assistance, it ended up being the ATI Catalyst Suite which is installed with the video driver (these servers have ATI Radeon X550's in them).

Removing the Catalyst Suite and using just the ATI driver alone did the trick. Don't know why as the Catalyst doesn't change the video driver, it just gives you a control panel utility. Go figure.

Thanks again,
Mark

Collapse -

any luck on this?

by wescrook In reply to Windows Server 2003 R2 wi ...

I also have the same problem from ANY machine (RDP 5x or 6.0) and it's server 2003 NON- R2 on the other end...

...tried all that's been said in this forum - nuthin' yet!

Wes

Collapse -

No luck yet

by mark In reply to any luck on this?

Hey wes, no luck on my end yet. Tried everything, although MSFT support is stumped, they have a bunch of other open cases on the same topic, specific to R2. I can easily re-create this on many machines even using VPC. Everything works fine until you install upgrade to R2.

In your case, you don't have R2, but are you running SQL 2000 or 2005 (any edition) on the same box? I ask as SP4 of 2000 and SP2 of 2005 broke RDP on two of my non-R2 boxes.

Collapse -

Finally figured it out....

by wescrook In reply to No luck yet

....yesterday....

It was the default Windows drivers for my x600 video card that I threw in there. I downloaded the XP drivers (which work in ws2k3) and that solved my problem! Seems like the default Windows drivers were messing up emulation somehow...

Thanks!

Back to Windows Forum
23 total posts (Page 2 of 3)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03   Next