After Hours

General discussion

TechRepublic's official feedback thread for the 2011 upgrade

By jasonhiner Moderator ·
Tags: Off Topic
Alright, so we've launched the new version of TechRepublic and we're very pretty excited about. See:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/techrepublics-2011-upgrade-simpler-and-lot-more-social/7473

On the other hand, we know that we've moved your cheese (see http://bit.ly/moved-my-cheese) and we realize that many of you who come here everyday are going to take a while to get used to the new layout.

However, we'd like your constructive feedback, and your help in running down bugs and alerting us to things we've inadvertently (or purposefully) changed that could have unintended consequences. Please post your feedback, bugs, errors, (and even applause) in this thread. If someone posts something that you agree with or were going to post then use the "+" voting button to vote it up. If someone posts something you disagree with then use the "-" voting button to vote it down.

Thanks in advance for helping us make the site better. We always appreciate your time and input.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

re: line wrap

by apotheon In reply to How?

I actually kinda like non-wrapping, as long as there's a 100 column width box to use (or more), guaranteed for any reasonable display resolution (600x800 and up) and any reasonable screen zoom (150%), because it encourages people to write code with lines of a reasonable length. Then again, I don't care much about Java, C#, and VB.NET -- and I know line lengths tend to need to be <strong>much</strong> longer in those languages.

I guess I'm just being a little self-centered when I say "So what?" about line wrapping.

Collapse -

When TR finally gets that bit sorted...

... I hope they'll publish detailed instructions in an obvious location on how to post code. It would be really cool if they adopted an approach like the SyntaxHighlighterEvolved plugin, where you specify a code section with an optional language attribute, and it gets syntax-colored as well. The only thing I don't like about that plugin is that it relies on JavaScript being enabled. Seems like the processing could be done server-side instead.

Collapse -

Ideally . . .

by apotheon In reply to When TR finally gets that ...

Ideally, it'd be something that allows dynamic updates (JavaScript driven, in other words) but degrades gracefully so that a page reload will achieve the same effect if JavaScript is restricted or unavailable for some reason. Unfortunately, it seems like almost everybody in the world has forgotten about the concept of graceful degradation of interfaces.

Collapse -

I'm missing a few things due to NoScript

by Neon Samurai In reply to When TR finally gets that ...

The full selection of display preferences and third party tracking options apear only when I enable scripts. It looks like most of the site runs fine with full NoScript in affect though.

Collapse -

Code looks great here!

by jerang@ In reply to Humph, neither works prop ...

@SinisterSlay - your code here is formatted correctly with the pre tag!
http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/discussions/102-340633-3412219

Collapse -

Look again

by Justin James Contributor In reply to Code looks great here!

It's cut off at the ends. It needs to wrap. In other testing, Chip's shown that pre DOESN'T work the way we need it to.

J.Ja

Collapse -

It also lost its tabbing

by Slayer_ In reply to Look again

In the old TR theme, scroll bars were automatically added with the pre tag to fix the chopping problem.

Collapse -

More items

The votes shown in "My Stuff" seem to have no relationship to actual activity.

My picture in my bio box on my articles is missing.

In the bio box for authors, the normal right-click menu is broken.

J.Ja

Collapse -

The votes shown in "My Stuff"

by NickNielsen In reply to More items

Appear to be the sum of votes for the entire thread, not the votes for a particular post.

Collapse -

I just noticed that too

It still makes no sense to the user why it would work that way... the only metric that anyone would care about is the number of votes on the post, not the thread.

J.Ja