After Hours

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

General discussion

TechRepublic's official feedback thread for the 2011 upgrade

By jasonhiner Moderator ·
Tags: Off Topic
Alright, so we've launched the new version of TechRepublic and we're very pretty excited about. See:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/techrepublics-2011-upgrade-simpler-and-lot-more-social/7473

On the other hand, we know that we've moved your cheese (see http://bit.ly/moved-my-cheese) and we realize that many of you who come here everyday are going to take a while to get used to the new layout.

However, we'd like your constructive feedback, and your help in running down bugs and alerting us to things we've inadvertently (or purposefully) changed that could have unintended consequences. Please post your feedback, bugs, errors, (and even applause) in this thread. If someone posts something that you agree with or were going to post then use the "+" voting button to vote it up. If someone posts something you disagree with then use the "-" voting button to vote it down.

Thanks in advance for helping us make the site better. We always appreciate your time and input.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Yeh.

by Boxy Fiddler In reply to Well it was bad

At the least, viewing 'Expanded' needs to be widened considerably.

Collapse -

That whole column to the right,

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Yeh.

containing 'Keep Up With', etc... is distracting to me at any rate when reading. Can it be lost in Expanded mode to make room for widening the left hand column containing posts? Or could a Print/View All be returned to our viewing options?

Collapse -

Also,

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to That whole column to the ...

once I've posted the view collapses and there's no sign of the option to Expand it again, despite my default being set at Expanded.

Sorry, couldn't edit the original. That seems to be a sporadic issue.

Collapse -

Lost would work

by Oz_Media In reply to That whole column to the ...

Get rid of it or at least balance it left and right with the reading pane centered.. Whoever designed this, over a YEAR mind you, should be collecting welfare or greeting guests at WalMart, no design abilities at all. To think of how many skilled and creative people around here can't find work and this **** has a job designing TR's website? There oughtta be a law,

Collapse -

You still need to learn the difference between...

by jasonhiner Moderator In reply to Lost would work

attacking ideas and attacking people, and I'm getting tired of reminding you. We welcome your criticisms, input, and feedback about the site. However, attacking people and name-calling (such as "wank") will get your posting privileges revoked. It's in our Terms of Service and we are committed to keeping the discussions on TechRepublic civil and respectful. Consider this your official warning.

Collapse -

Um, option not even there in FireFox

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Yeh.

So may be it's a built in for Infernal Exploiter.
Oh well, if you are going t make an arse of something, at least make a big arse of it.

Collapse -

That's a great idea

by Oz_Media In reply to Um..., Erm... Well... Oh!

TR can offer a mouse with a low geared wheel to ease the scrolling, maybe a 1:30 ratio would work, of everyone can just change thier nmouse settings to scroll 10 lines at a ime.
If using a notebook though, you can just hit space to page down a few dozen times and try to figure out where you want to go.
The lack of horizontal real estate in a world where widescreens are standardized now, illustrates a utter lack of industry knowledge...hang on, isn't that what TR boasts?
It appears to be designed by a group of geeks with impaired vision and no concept of web based marketing or visual aesthetics. I'm surprised the forums don't require binary input, talk about out of touch.

Collapse -

I agree it's out of touch, but...

... in the other direction. This looks very "rounded corners and lots of whitespace" oriented, which is fine for artsy sites or high-gloss marketing. Technically-oriented readers covet their screen real estate and keystrokes required to navigate. It's those folks with whom they're out of touch.

Collapse -

Not to be misunderstood

by Oz_Media In reply to I agree it's out of touch ...

I agree with you, but it takes a technical mind with no cretive capability to come up with this jumble of junk and think it's a website and draws new visitors. YOU'VE designed websites, you know the 12 second rule for new visitor attention, most would click away form this mess in about 3. "OOOOOPS, wrong link, try the next one maybe it looks a little more usable."

At first I thought it was a browser display issue, new website, not fully cross browser tested, tried with FF and its the same! Truly ghastly, if not one of the worst sites I've seen in ages. What a disaster! The new discussion layout and navigation is absolutely horrid!

Collapse -

Or

by seanferd In reply to I agree it's out of touch ...

A resumé, Nice formatting for that, but not for a forum or comment thread.