After Hours

General discussion

TechRepublic's official feedback thread for the 2011 upgrade

By jasonhiner Moderator ·
Tags: Off Topic
Alright, so we've launched the new version of TechRepublic and we're very pretty excited about. See:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/techrepublics-2011-upgrade-simpler-and-lot-more-social/7473

On the other hand, we know that we've moved your cheese (see http://bit.ly/moved-my-cheese) and we realize that many of you who come here everyday are going to take a while to get used to the new layout.

However, we'd like your constructive feedback, and your help in running down bugs and alerting us to things we've inadvertently (or purposefully) changed that could have unintended consequences. Please post your feedback, bugs, errors, (and even applause) in this thread. If someone posts something that you agree with or were going to post then use the "+" voting button to vote it up. If someone posts something you disagree with then use the "-" voting button to vote it down.

Thanks in advance for helping us make the site better. We always appreciate your time and input.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

On the other hand...

by AnsuGisalas In reply to I'm with you

Yahoo provides throwaway email addresses, so I guess you could put one of those up for gravatar. It'll still be accessable through yahoo, but it's hopefully insulated...

Collapse -

For people who have other, preferred image storage sites

by Oz_Media In reply to How is it inconvenient?

Such as Windows Live, Picturetrail etc. you now have to download, reformat, upload images to a new server that you have to sign up for and await a flood of spam and junk mail from. It would have been somewhat palletable if the image size remained the same though. Lose lose from a users perspective.

If the average new visitor has an attention span of 12 seconds to find what they want, this is dead in the water before the champagne bottle breaks on the bow. Some lifers will take time to muddle through the birds nest of links and panels, but it is not at all inviting for new visitors.

Collapse -

RE: How is it inconvenient?

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to How is it inconvenient?

Well Jason for starters the sizes are different which requires you to resize or do without.

Then there is the slight issue of needing to join yet another site and spread what where previously Secure E Mail Address about. In the Past I was sure that TR wouldn't be sharing my E Mail Address with anyone and they where the only ones to get most of those which can not be dumped at a moments notice.

Now there is a site Gravatar who has 2 of my E Mail Addresses that would be inconvenient to loose though not Earth Shattering it would certainly be Inconvenient. The remainder they will never see and any Accounts that are already open or may be opened in the future will remain Blank.

Currently I'm not overly happy with the need to join yet another site just so I can post at TR with the same features that where in place previously. Maybe I'll get used to the FB Look of things but currently at the moment I'm debating weather or not to continue using TR as it's become inconvenient, hard to know where posts will end up particularly in Q&A Threads, Not Possible to Subscribe to Questions/Discussions without adding a post and seriously looks way too much like Face Book which I refuse to use.

I've also just seen that the Contact TR Link that used to be on every page is no longer there nor is there a link to report Spam Posts so I'm assuming that this was just an oversight that will get changed when it gets brought to your attention. :0

Col

Collapse -

Looks like the spam button is still there

by Michael Jay In reply to RE: How is it inconvenien ...

it is now called flag, and it gives you several options as to how to report the post, cool, I like it.

Collapse -

Reporting spam posts

It's still there... at the bottom of the post is a link that says "Flag".

J.Ja

Collapse -

Gravatar's privacy policy

by jasonhiner Moderator In reply to How is it inconvenient?

Here's the link to Gravatar's privacy policy:
http://en.gravatar.com/site/privacy

In short, they promise to "never rent, sell, or otherwise distribute or make public your email address." We wouldn't have used them unless they had such an unequivocal policy.

Collapse -

Policies can be changed at any time...

by Justin James Contributor In reply to Gravatar's privacy policy

... just ask Google.

Sorry, but there's no defense on this one. Gravatar should be *an* option, not *the* option. Personally, I don't mind Gravatar, but I'm standing up for the folks who have every right to not want to use it. Just let people host elsewhere, and offer defaults icons for folks as well.

J.Ja

Collapse -

meaningless

by apotheon In reply to Gravatar's privacy policy

I bet that policy doesn't apply to governments, for instance.

Collapse -

XKCD answered this as well

by Slayer_ In reply to Gravatar's privacy policy

Have a look.
http://xkcd.com/792/
This is exactly why I sign up for as few services as possible.

Collapse -

multiple accounts

by apotheon In reply to How is it inconvenient?

This is now my third or fourth Gravatar account, thanks to the fact I don't use the same email address everywhere for purposes of keeping things separated.