After Hours

General discussion

TechRepublic's official feedback thread for the 2011 upgrade

By jasonhiner Moderator ·
Tags: Off Topic
Alright, so we've launched the new version of TechRepublic and we're very pretty excited about. See:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/techrepublics-2011-upgrade-simpler-and-lot-more-social/7473

On the other hand, we know that we've moved your cheese (see http://bit.ly/moved-my-cheese) and we realize that many of you who come here everyday are going to take a while to get used to the new layout.

However, we'd like your constructive feedback, and your help in running down bugs and alerting us to things we've inadvertently (or purposefully) changed that could have unintended consequences. Please post your feedback, bugs, errors, (and even applause) in this thread. If someone posts something that you agree with or were going to post then use the "+" voting button to vote it up. If someone posts something you disagree with then use the "-" voting button to vote it down.

Thanks in advance for helping us make the site better. We always appreciate your time and input.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Oy vey.

by seanferd In reply to multiple accounts

I am hoping that I can at least choose avatars per-site from the same email address as Justin mentions.

I am still really not happy with TR pulling the avatar from my existing Gravatar account automatically. A note that an existing Gravatar was detected and an offer to use it would have been just fine, if automated social connectivity was what they were shooting for. But the current behavior is <i>just wrong</i>.

Collapse -

So the pioneer spirit is quashed with your site?

by rmerchberger In reply to How is it inconvenient?

I never took the time to set up an avatar before, but I was considering it... until now.

Why should I fork over my email address(es) and to some extent my online identity, wade through a bunch of incomprehensible legaleze which becomes null & void when someone buys out gravatar next year anyway... when I have 3 (yea, count 'em 3) web servers in my basement on my own static IPs. I have the ability of hosting my own avatar [and my own email... another reason to not sign up "just anywhere" - extra spam... ] yet it's not an option to host one's own avatar?

A lot of the changes to the site I dislike immensely -- mostly because I just don't like change. Any time that an option to host ones own images isn't available sounds like there's an underlying (and underhanded) motive (even if it's just PHB foolishness) for the decision.

I'm just sayin'...
"Merch"

Collapse -

there is some security basis for not hosting

by Neon Samurai In reply to So the pioneer spirit is ...

I've considered it more than once:

step 1, host avatar image on my own managed server
step 2, give TR my avatar URL
step 3, collect the logs as all you other TR readers download my avatar image
step 4, (uh.. ok.. I got not setup four yet)
step 5, Profit!! (this is where figuring out step four comes in )

I'm not really sure how much of a concern it is but it does present an option to collect information on fellow TR readers.

Collapse -

I'm missing my discussions...sort of

by NickNielsen In reply to TechRepublic's official f ...

I like the new profile layout. It's easier to follow contacts, update newsletter subscriptions, and set preferences. However, I can't seem to find an equivalent of the Updates listing from the old Workspace. Where is a list of the discussions I've subscribed to? I used this list to try to keep up with my subscribed discussions and now I can't find it.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Or is construction just not finished yet?

Collapse -

It's a joke

by Oz_Media In reply to I'm missing my discussion ...

Now go an edit your comment and see how well it is displayed without spaces or paragraphs. There is a mess of links in the bottom bar, scroll down past the ads and other junk in the right sidebar, you may find a page that disaplys your discussions, it's not uniform, each page seems to offer a unique navigation set.

Collapse -

The edit issue is a known bug

by NickNielsen In reply to It's a joke

I've already run into it, and we've already been told they're working on it.

As for the bottom of the page, most of that has always been there. It was just ignored except in rare cases when the targeted ads or recommended links didn't make sense or were hilarious. I took a good look and It actually makes more sense than it used to.

The problem I'm having right now is that I've set my default thread view to Expanded, yet this thread is displayed collapsed and I can find no way to expand it.

Collapse -

It has been there before but

by Oz_Media In reply to The edit issue is a known ...

Was mainly redundant as far more logical navigation was available near the top of the page.

Collapse -

I'm finding 'Expanded'

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to The edit issue is a known ...

not nearly as useful as the old Print/View All, primarlly because the old way used the entire screen whilst the new way stays to a limited column size.

I do like that I can set my default view to expanded, however, and not have to click each comment to open and read.

Collapse -

Expanded

by JackOfAllTech In reply to The edit issue is a known ...

Try setting the default to collapsed, then back to expanded again.