Windows

Question

upgrading graphics drivers from lenovo t510

By chibisebas ·
hi, i am trying to update the intel HD graphics drivers on my lenovo T510, it has windows 10 installed and functions normally, except for video games that this graphics driver should support without issue (minecraft, skyrim) however none of these games can start due to openGL issues with my GPU, basically any game released after 2005 has major issues, which is surprising since this laptop was released in 2009.

driver details below:

Intel HD Graphics Driver

Windows 7 (64-bit)
Windows Vista (64-Bit)

Version 8.15.10.2900

i keep running into the message that: 'this computer does not meet the minimum requirements to install this driver'.

i want to ask if it is possible to update these drivers from their windows 7 version into windows 10, and if so, how i go about doing that.
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Remember this is not a gaming laptop.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to upgrading graphics driver ...

There are too many T510 models so I can't research which driver to try.

Be aware that you SHALL be running a CLEAN INSTALL of the Windows 10 64 bit or I expect no possible solution.

Tell me the EXACT T510 Model along with with CPU it has.

Collapse -

well aware its not intended for gaming, just surprised the graphics driver

by chibisebas In reply to Remember this is not a ga ...

dont know if clean install since it was on there when i bought it

Lenovo ThinkPad T510 model 43147NU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

Collapse -

Ouch. I was hoping it was not some 1st gen Core i5.

by proffitt In reply to well aware its not intend ...

As noted, it's a first gen i5 so all bets are off.

1. https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html
2. BIOS SHALL be 1.52 from what I can find.
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds018892-bios-update-utility-for-windows-8-32-bit-64-bit-7-32-bit-64-bit-vista-32-bit-64-bit-xp-thinkpad-t510-t510i
3. OS SHALL be W10 64 bit and a clean install. If not clean you should clean install.
4. https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html DOES NOT include W10 drivers. For that we go to Intel.com and let their tool find the latest CHIPSET driver and then we go for Graphics. I know a lot of current PC owners don't know that order matters. In short, BIOS, BIOS settings then Chipset driver and finally audio and graphics drivers.

5, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html notes methods 1 and 2 which I've used before.

And no, I have never had to force W7 or W8 drivers into a W10 OS.

Collapse -

PS. BIOS settings.

by proffitt In reply to Ouch. I was hoping it wa ...

I could not find any document about the BIOS 1.52 screens so I'll have to write what I do and maybe why.

Keep in mind the names and categories in the BIOS will NEVER match since I don't own this model and no one documented this area. It doesn't mean we give up.

What we want to do is to give the Intel Graphics as much RAM as we can. I can't know what you know but for Intel onboard the RAM is allocated from main memory during the BIOS boot phase. Later the driver can allocate more but for now I want the BIOS to give as much as it can.

Given no screens or document we have to look around for entries and the usual is an option for 32, 64 or so megabytes but you just set it to the max.

Good luck.

Collapse -

last time i checked

by chibisebas In reply to PS. BIOS settings.

it was a 64 MB, ill go into bios and see if i can give it some more. thanks for the heads up. ill continue to fiddle in it

Collapse -

thanks

by chibisebas In reply to Ouch. I was hoping it wa ...

i know it was a bleak prospect. im going to try your suggestion and see how far ill get, if its the OS thats causing the issue l'll buy a new one and see if that fixes it, if not, ill use the laptop as a typewriter i guess.

thanks for the time and information

Collapse -

If it has W10 there should be no need to buy another license.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to thanks

W10 is very different as to license. Unless there's something wacky going on with, well I won't get into that here, all I've ever had to do is to make a fresh USB install stick (this is free) then boot and clean install.

Activation has yet to fail for me if the old W10 was working and activated.

Collapse -

Re: driver

by Kees_B Moderator In reply to upgrading graphics driver ...

You'll need a Windows 10 driver in Windows 10. If Lenovo doesn't offer it, search elsewhere.

Collapse -

Actually I think I did find a possible offering for said driver.

by proffitt In reply to Re: driver

But I need the details to see if it may work.

Then again, Intel has such drivers but as we all know, Intel HD Graphics even with their latest drivers may not be good enough for games. But we can try.

Let's hope the OP can get back in here with machine details and knows they must have the last BIOS, 64 bit W10 and is adept at possible BIOS adjustments.