Storage

Question

Would a 240 MB/s DRAM-less SSD in a PS4 be faster than og 100 MB/s HDD?

By Tr4405 ·
Tags: Hardware
I bought a SSD for my ps4. I know that when transferring or downloading large files that I can slow down a lot. I got a SSD that locks to about 240 MB/s since my system is SATA II. I play a lot of open world games. Will the game loading in assets from my SSD slow down the speeds. I know that 240 MB/s is obviously faster than 100 MB/s but can the lack of DRAM make it lower than 100 MB/s?
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I can't predict the result but

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Would a 240 MB/s DRAM-les ...

Having replaced some hundred plus HDDs with all sorts and sizes of SSD I can write that all the PCs worked better in every way with the SSD.

Again, the SSD has won all performance benchmarks in over 200 PCs so far.

In closing I've done so many of these that it could be over a thousand but I can't remember them all.

Collapse -

I have to wonder...

by birdmantd Moderator In reply to Would a 240 MB/s DRAM-les ...

Has anyone else successfully replaced an HDD with an SSD in such a system previously ? Yes, a PS4 is essentially a specialized computer system, but I don't know if the SSD would be fully compatible.

Collapse -

Many have done this. Here's a video tutorial.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to I have to wonder...
Collapse -

Its possible

by Tr4405 In reply to I have to wonder...

The only thing is that the ps4 locks any SSD to SATA 2 speeds.

Collapse -

What is this about locks to SATA 2?

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to Its possible

First, this appears to be discussed at https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/o2b6e1/im_thinking_of_getting_a_ssd_for_my_ps4_and_i/

But what is this lock? We know that SSD beats HDD. Even on SATA 2 ports, and even DRAM LESS.

To the topic question: Yes.

Collapse -

That’s good to know

by Tr4405 In reply to What is this about locks ...

Ive heard people say “oh DRAM-less SSDs are garbage you mine as well buy a HDD” and stuff like “oh a DRAM-less SSD can go to like 50 MB/s”. I think some people exaggerate with that stuff.

Collapse -

I've seen way too many upgrades.

by rproffitt Moderator In reply to That’s good to know

And folk do bring me the cheapest SSDs and they still beat their installed HDD.

https://www.wepc.com/tips/hdd-vs-ssd-gaming/ tries to soften the message about SSD versus HDD but it's very one sided when it comes to performance.