Research: Autonomous transportation in the enterprise: Mixed impact anticipated
From driverless trucks and delivery vehicles to drones and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVS)–many businesses are considering or already incorporate autonomous transportation technology in their enterprises.
To better understand just how autonomous vehicles impact–or will impact–the enterprise was the topic of a TechRepublic Premium’s survey. The survey asked the following questions:
- How do you think autonomous transportation will affect your industry?
- How much do you think autonomous transportation will affect your industry positively over the next 10-25 years?
- How much do you think autonomous transportation will affect your industry negatively over the next 10-25 years?
- Which of the following effects do you believe autonomous transportation will have on your company?
- Is your company currently doing anything with autonomous transportation?
- What are your plans for, or what are you doing with, autonomous transportation?
- What concerns do you have about the effect of autonomous transportation?
There is no denying that autonomous transportation will affect industries. Most respondents expect autonomous transportation to have a positive effect on their industry. Only 11% of respondents think it will negatively impact their industry.
However, this doesn’t mean that respondents aren’t concerned about the new technology. More than half of respondents worry about the effect of autonomous transportation on public safety (63%), regulation (54%), and ethics (52%). These responses are similar to ones from a 2017 survey, where the top concerns of autonomous transportation were public safety (65%), regulation (50%), and ethics (52%). Interestingly, the number of jobs was a concern for 46% of respondents in 2017, and in 2019 that number decreased to 36%.
Approximately two-thirds of respondents (67%) are not doing anything currently with autonomous transportation, yet is on the radar screen for some respondents. Sixteen percent are considering a strategy, and 7% are actively working to implement it. Further, 41% admit to not having definite plans, but are waiting to see what the industry does before adopting it.
To find out more about autonomous transportation’s future role in business download the full report: Research: Autonomous transportation in the enterprise: Mixed impact anticipated.