Research: The impact of tablets in the workplace (TechRepublic Premium)
This archived TechRepublic Premium report, originally published in February 2014, is available for free to registered TechRepublic members. For all the latest research reports, 100+ ready-made policies, IT job descriptions, and more, check out TechRepublic Premium.
From the report:
TechRepublic Premium conducted an online survey to explore how and which tablets are being used in the enterprise, what strengths and/or weaknesses they entail and how they may impact traditional computer use/purchasing. This survey attracted 203 respondents from many parts of the world across a diverse array of business sectors.
Throughout our survey we found some of the following key points:
- Most companies not only permit the use of tablets, but also buy them for employees.
- Certain departments such as sales, IT and administration are more oriented towards tablet use and thus are seeing greater gains from them.
- Tablets and PCs each have certain advantages; portability for tablets and the use of multiple monitors for PCs, for instance.
- Companies are using tablets for business functions such as email, internet access and calendaring. Note-taking and e-reading are also strong showings. Security, inventory and order management are not widespread tablet functions just yet.
- Apple is the strongest tablet player with Microsoft Surface also enjoying a reasonably good showing.
- Tablets are encroaching upon the usage of traditional computers, but not necessarily cutting into PC purchases — they are helping to offload or complement desktop functions, but the PC is still a player in this game.
It’s not all wine and roses for tablets just yet: some companies have concerns about security or else don’t see a clear need for tablet use, and hence they are not necessarily deemed essential hardware across the board.
Subscribe to the TechRepublic Premium Exclusives Newsletter
Save time with the latest TechRepublic Premium downloads, including original research, customizable IT policy templates, ready-made lunch-and-learn presentations, IT hiring tools, ROI calculators, and more. Exclusively for you! Delivered Tuesdays and Thursdays