Cybersecurity spotlight: The ransomware battle
Ransomware is an escalating, increasingly sophisticated threat—and no one seems to be immune. This ebook looks at how the malware works, who it’s affecting, steps to avoid it, and what to do if you’re attacked.
Although ransomware initially targeted home users, it is spreading quickly into the enterprise. Recent reports from security firms such as Kaspersky, Symantec, and FSecure offer a scary view of how ransomware attacks are evolving, spinning off new variants and upping the ante as hackers go after lucrative targets like universities and hospitals.
From the ebook:
Tips for IT leaders
To prevent a ransomware attack, experts say IT and information security leaders should do the following:
- Keep clear inventories of all your digital assets and their locations so cybercriminals do not attack a system you are unaware of.
- Keep all software up to date, including operating systems and applications.
- Back up all information every day, including information on employee devices, so you can restore encrypted data if attacked.
- Back up all information to a secure offsite location.
- Segment your network: Don’t place all data on one file share accessed by everyone in the company.
- Train staff on cybersecurity practices, emphasizing that they should not open attachments or links from unknown sources.
- Develop a communication strategy to inform employees if a virus reaches the company network.
- Before an attack happens, work with your board to determine whether your company will plan to pay a ransom or launch an investigation.
- Perform a threat analysis in communication with vendors to go over cybersecurity throughout the lifecycle of a particular device or application.
- Instruct information security teams to perform penetration testing to find any vulnerabilities.
Subscribe to the TechRepublic Premium Exclusives Newsletter
Save time with the latest TechRepublic Premium downloads, including original research, customizable IT policy templates, ready-made lunch-and-learn presentations, IT hiring tools, ROI calculators, and more. Exclusively for you! Delivered Tuesdays and Thursdays