Digital transformation in retail: How consumers are using tech to make shopping easier and more enjoyable
- Provided by TechRepublic Premium
- Published June 26, 2018
- Topic TechRepublic Premium
- Format PDF
If the race between corporate giants Amazon, Microsoft, and Walmart to create fully-automated shopping experiences is any indication, retail could look a lot different in the near future. Recently, Tech Pro Research conducted an online survey to see what technology consumers are already using, and how it's changing their shopping. The survey asked the following questions:
- What digital products or services have you used while shopping in the past year?
- Of the devices or services you've used, which made your shopping easier?
- Of the devices or services you've used, which made your shopping more complicated?
- Of the devices or services you've used, which made your shopping more enjoyable?
- Of the devices or services you've used, which made your shopping less enjoyable?
- What personally identifiable information are you willing to give to retailers in exchange for discounts or rewards?
- Would you give services like Amazon Key access to your home or vehicle in exchange for convenience?
Overall, respondents who'd used technologies like mobile payments and automated ordering kiosks said they made shopping easier and more enjoyable. And unsurprisingly, respondents were unwilling to give up personal information and access to their homes or vehicles for the most part.