Electronic data retention policy
This policy is designed to help you define requirements and implement practices for ensuring that electronic data is safeguarded in compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
From the policy:
This policy’s purpose is to help the company and its staff understand their obligations to retain electronic data. This policy applies to all employees who create electronic documents and all work-related information stored on desktop and laptop machines, servers, network storage systems, smartphones, tablet computers, portable hard drives, flash memory devices, cloud-based file storage services and any other media that has policy-covered electronic data.
After a review of its electronic document management and retention practices, the company is instituting this policy for the following reasons:
- To ensure compliance with electronic data retention rules and regulations.
- To preserve storage space on the organization’s servers, systems, desktop computers, laptops and other devices.
- To encourage optimal system and network performance.
- To eliminate confusion over different document iterations.
- To ensure the authenticity of electronic documents on organization-owned equipment.
- To ensure that important documents are not made unusable by technological upgrades.