Hiring kit: Game tester
Game testing requires more than just the ability to play games. A successful candidate must be able to identify, isolate, and explain bugs and design flaws as part of the development team. This hiring kit from TechRepublic Premium contains a job description, sample interview questions, and basic want ad to help you find the best candidates for the job.
From the job description:
Duties and responsibilities
The game tester will:
- Identify, isolate, regress, and communicate issues, defects, and errors to the development team effectively and efficiently.
- Log and track bugs in a database or other designated platform.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the systems assigned to them and communicate progress, evaluate status, and make risk assessments.
- Support the development team with issues and perform root cause analysis.
- Work in a collaborative quality assurance environment, executing individual tasks and group assignments.
- Create, maintain, and execute test cases to provide end-to-end testing coverage.
- Execute tasks through the use of in-house and third-party testing tools.
- Promote improvements and efficiencies in quality assurance procedures, processes, and methods.
- Partner with other quality assurance support groups to ensure alignment of testing focus and tasks.
- Identify any spelling or grammatical errors within the text of the game or in the game documentation.
- Work with producers to break down high-level goals into tasks, timelines, and requirements.