IaaS Research: The State of IaaS in the Enterprise 2017
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) allows companies to use virtualized resources for services like email, file servers, databases, and security services. Rather than maintaining an internal data center, businesses can connect to an external provider to provide the same functions. The provider owns the systems involved and is generally responsible for the maintenance and upkeep, which reduces the burden on IT staff. The provider may host private cloud, public cloud,or hybrid cloud environments depending on business requirements.
This report takes a look at who’s using IaaS, what services they’ve moved to the cloud, and the benefits they’ve seen from that shift. Key findings include:
- A third of companies have already implemented IaaS either for their entire environment, or one or more systems.
- The most common business elements moved to IaaS are payment processing, messaging and collaboration systems, database operations and customer relationship management.
- Nearly equal amounts of respondents reported budget increases and decreases following an IaaS implementation and 37% reported no change.
- A wide majority of respondents stated IT staff levels stayed the same or were retrained for other duties (85% overall). Less than a quarter reported an IT staff reduction.
- Over half of respondents reported a risk decrease following an IaaS implementation. Less than a quarter reported a risk increase.
For more findings, including top vendor choices, changes in data centers after IaaS implementation, and why businesses aren’t using IaaS, download the full report, IaaS Research: The State of IaaS in the Enterprise 2017. And to learn more about IaaS best practices and strategies, see this ZDNet/TechRepublic special feature.
Subscribe to the TechRepublic Premium Exclusives Newsletter
Save time with the latest TechRepublic Premium downloads, including original research, customizable IT policy templates, ready-made lunch-and-learn presentations, IT hiring tools, ROI calculators, and more. Exclusively for you! Delivered Tuesdays and Thursdays