This archived Tech Pro Research report, originally published in November 2014, is available for free to registered TechRepublic members. For all the latest research reports, 100+ ready-made policies, IT job descriptions, and more, check out Tech Pro Research
. Here are some key findings from the report:
- Moving data and services to the cloud is seen as important (more so by CXOs), but there is also a level of dedication to in-house systems and servers, which is based on a certain degree of skepticism.
- Security, mobility and big data are the top three technologies to watch.
- 3-D printing, wearables and software defined infrastructure (SDI) are considered the least relevant technologies right now.
- Desktops, thick clients and on-premises servers are expected to decrease in relevance.
- Productivity/project management software and email/instant messaging aren’t expected to go anywhere, these will remain the mainstays of business.
- There is more faith in the future of Linux desktops than in the possibility of Apple surpassing Microsoft in the enterprise.
- IT is expected to become a mix of centralized and decentralized administration.