IT leaders' tech predictions for 2015-2018 (free from Tech Pro Research)
This archived Tech Pro Research report, originally published in November 2014, is available for free to registered TechRepublic members. For all the latest research reports, 100+ ready-made policies, IT job descriptions, and more, check out Tech Pro Research.
Here are some key findings from the report:
- Moving data and services to the cloud is seen as important (more so by CXOs), but there is also a level of dedication to in-house systems and servers, which is based on a certain degree of skepticism.
- Security, mobility and big data are the top three technologies to watch.
- 3-D printing, wearables and software defined infrastructure (SDI) are considered the least relevant technologies right now.
- Desktops, thick clients and on-premises servers are expected to decrease in relevance.
- Productivity/project management software and email/instant messaging aren’t expected to go anywhere, these will remain the mainstays of business.
- There is more faith in the future of Linux desktops than in the possibility of Apple surpassing Microsoft in the enterprise.
- IT is expected to become a mix of centralized and decentralized administration.