Research: SMB IT stack decisions based on fulfilling business needs
- Provided by TechRepublic Premium
- Published April 22, 2020
- Topic TechRepublic Premium
- Format PDF
How do small to medium-sized businesses (SMBs) build and technology stack? TechRepublic Premium conducted an online survey to learn about the thought process behind a company's technology decisions.
The survey asked the following questions:
- Which of the following hardware software or cloud services is your company currently using?
- Which of the following hardware software or cloud services is your company planning to deploy in the next 12 months?
- What SaaS features and applications are deployed or will be deployed in your business during the next 12 months?
- What services and vendors has your company tried tested or experimented with in the past 12 months?
- What is the most important factor for your business when selecting and deploying technology?
- What is the most important factor for your business when it comes to selecting a specific technology vendor?
- Which of the following people in your business are involved in technology purchasing decisions?
- Who in your business has the final say in purchasing decisions for major technology deployments?
According to the survey, most respondents (63%) use internal servers (both on- and off-premise). The second most-used service is a combination of servers and cloud services (39%); while Microsoft Azure closely followed at 34%. Google Cloud Platform (29%), Amazon AWS (28%), and a combination of more than one cloud service (17%) rounded out the list of responses.
In terms of future deployments, 40% of respondents will deploy internal servers (on- or off-promise) within the next 12 months. Microsoft Azure is in the plans for 34% of respondents, 28% of respondents will deploy Amazon AWS, and 27% plan to deploy a combination of servers and cloud services.
Companies currently deploy or will deploy the following SaaS features in the next 12 months: Database servers (42%), file storage servers (41%), other features and apps (37%), artificial intelligence (35%), and Internet of Things (IoT) management (23%).
To read all of the results from the survey, plus analysis, download the full report here: Research: SMB IT stack decisions based on fulfilling business needs.