Research: Why Industrial IoT deployments are on the rise
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) has the potential to significantly impact businesses. Sectors such as transportation, manufacturing, and energy, among others, are eager to–or already– implement IIoT devices. To better understand how and why industries use this new technology, TechRepublic Premium conducted an online survey in January 2019. According to the survey, 82% of respondents have either implemented IIoT, are running a pilot project, or are considering implementation.
The survey asked the following questions:
- Which of the following best describes your organization’s use of IoT devices?
- Why are you not implementing any IoT systems (further or otherwise)?
- How does your company plan to use IoT devices?
- What purposes does your company use IoT devices for currently?
- What data is your company collecting with IoT devices?
- What area(s) of your company use the data collected from IoT devices?
- What, if any, measures are taken to secure the IoT devices your company uses?
Most respondents recognize the value of using IIoT devices, with predictive maintenance topping both the list of planned usage, at 42% and current usage at 37%. Other current use cases for IIoT include quality control, metering, managing inventory, safety, and smart packaging. Further, more than half of the survey respondents use the data gathered from IoT devices in maintenance.
Data gathered from IIoT devices also delivers value to companies. More than half of respondents (51%) collect data pertaining to equipment status (such as wear and tear and vibrations); almost half (45%) collect energy usage data. Respondents also list collecting telemetrics, GPS, and weather/climate data from their IoT devices.
However, every new technology faces roadblocks, and IIoT is no exception to this. Interestingly, while cybersecurity is a concern for companies using IoT, it isn’t causing the main roadblock to deployment. That honor belongs to employees lacking the necessary skills to implement and maintain the technology, as 40% of respondents admit that is why they have no future IIoT deployment plans.