General discussion
September 10, 2004 at 05:33 AM
basher

Exchange 2000 Server Died – Need Advice

by basher . Updated 22 years ago

Our W2K Exchange 2000 server died, looks like one of the drives in the array (RAID 1 , Promise Fasttrak TX2, 60Gb drives) failed big time, like no spin up, which has seemed to affect the other drive as well. Anyway, not sure what is recoverable on the second drive that is still operational.

I’m going at this like I will need to rebuild the Exchange box completely from scratch. Reinstall everything. The only backup I have of Exchange is from our daily backup, we use Veritas BackupExec 8.6 with Exchange Agent. I have verified that the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group, System State are indeed on the backup tapes. This server was the first server in the AD organization. I have 3 other W2K servers that were also global catalogs so I have all the AD objects.

Given this I am looking for help on a game plan, how do I bring a new Exchange 2000 server back online in the AD network with the same name, and can I restore any of the Exchange data from the tapes, could PSTs be created from this data?

I’m not sure how I go about doing this the most efficient way, I would appreciate any advice possible.

Thanks!!

This discussion is locked

All Comments