General discussion
August 15, 2006 at 09:30 AM
luv2bike2

opening Access 97 file in Access 2003???

by luv2bike2 . Updated 20 years, 2 months ago

I need to open an Access file and I am not sure if it was created in Access 97 or not. I am thinking it was created in Access 97 because of the message that I am receiving. I have Access 2003 and when I try to open it I get the following error message.

The current user account doesn’t have permission to convert or enable this database.
To convert or enable a database, ensure the following:
You must join the workgroup that defines the user accounts used to access the database.
Your user account must have Open/Run and Open Exclusive permissions for the database.
Your user account must have Modify Design or Administrator permissions for all tables in the database, or it must be the owner of all tables in the database.
Your user account must have Read Design permission for all objects in the database.
Request the other users close the database.

in the Help section of this error message box says:

This error is usually associated with opening or converting a security enhanced Access 97 or earlier databass. If you are not the owner of the DB, you most likely will not have the nescessary access rights to open or convert it.
If you need to convert the database you can:

Attempt to change the permissions on the system tables to include Admin rights (if you are a member of the Admin group)
Have the owner convert the DB
Import all the objects from the database into a new database
Note: the security settings currently present in the existing db will not be present in the new db.

My question is:
if it was created in Access 97 and I do not have Access 97 on any of my workstations, how can I convert it to Access 2003? I am a complete Novice when it comes to Access, I have not work with it before so what ever help I can get would be greatly appreciated!
We just need to look at the data in the DB we do not need or want to make any changes to it.
Thanks,

This discussion is locked

All Comments