Hi!
I have a machine using Windows ME (with all latest patches), IE 6.0.28 SP1.
The internet connection is through an ADSL modem to a broadband connection.
Sometime a couple of months ago, IE starting acting strangely. Every time the app is initialized it sits and spins it’s wheels with a message “Detecting Proxy Settings” in the status bar in lower left. It does this for about 10-20 seconds before loading the webpage.
It only does this when the first instance of IE is started. Once running it never does this again unless all instances of IE are closed and a new instance is opened.
I know for a fact it didn’t do this always… but I can’t unfortunately pin-point when it began as it’s not my machine and I seldom use it.
Any way to stop IE from doing this, or speed up this proxy detection process? I don’t have a porxy configured for the ISP’s service, but perhaps there is one pre-configured when ther ISP’s software was installed.
Thanks,
G