We utilize a very small (12 computer)network running on Windows 2000 Server with all 12 clients running WIN 2000 Professional. Currently we only have the one Server and it performs ALL network services, Domain server, print server, application server, etc.
We also have an IBM RS-6000 running AIX Version 4.3 (UNIX) This server is used to host our e-Commerce business software and in-house order entry software. We are getting ready to change both these software systems to another product from a different comapany. The new software runs on a WIN 2000 platform exclusively. That will leave my UNIX box unutilized.
I am NOT a knowledgeble UNIX user at all.
My question is: How can I incorporate the IBM RS-6000 UNIX system into my Windows 2000 Server network? Can it be used as a Print Server?
Remote Access Server?
DNS Server?
Application Server?
DOes it have to remain a UNIX server? Can this system be purged of UNIX and reformatted with a Windows 2000 system?
Can the external tape B/U on the RS-6000 be used to perform B/Us of the Windows 2000 system files?
etc., etc., etc., I guess I need a goog reference book recommendation on Windows 2000 and UNIX operating systems –
Thank you for your help!!
Dave Williams
Metro Office Products
Belcamp, MD
(410) 297-6666
dwilliams@mymetroofficeproducts.com