I have an NT 4 domain with 1 PDC, 2 BDC’s and a number of NT4 and 2000 member servers. I have need to migrate to a 2K active directory. Thrown in for good measure is an Exchange 5.5 server running on one of my BDC’s (bad idea I know…I didn’t do it) which I want to migrate to Exchage 2000. I own all the licensing and media and the Exchange server is due for a hardware replacement anyway. ABout 180 domain users and 150 Exchange users across 11 locations, none more than a half hour one way drive from our central office where the servers are located, but one office is exactly opposite all other offices (one half hour north, all others are south of here).
My thoughts are to create a whole new domain, setup a full trust relationship andthen setup the Ex2K server with a full trust between the two Exchange servers so mail can flow transparently. This would leave me the leisure of moving users a department at a time to the new system without any major interruptions in services provided. Then once the mail is done I can remove the member servers and have them join the active directory…when all is said and done I’ll simply shut off the old NT DC’s and reformat them for another function.
My question is, is my basic premise sound? I want to minimize downtime and inconvenience to the users while minimizing my own headaches, driving time and off hours time (oddly enough I have some sort of life outside of work). Does anyone have anything to contribute to my basic plan orany tips to help avoid problems they experienced during a similar migration?