Administrators bear the weight of numerous critical responsibilities, and mistakes can result in downtime, lost productivity, and a host of other business problems. But one particular type of oversight—licensing missteps—can also make admins a party to illegal activities, bringing down an avalanche of unsavory consequences for both admins and their organization. When admins don't properly track and manage software licensing, they can put their organization in licensing noncompliance, which can result in hefty fines and legal repercussions.
Lots of programs can help track software licenses, but the key to ensuring compliance is staying organized. And you don't necessarily need an expensive solution to help you do that. In fact, we created a Microsoft Access database (in Access 97 and Access 2000 format) that you can download for free.
The fallout from noncompliance can be devastating. But by maintaining a simple database, you'll be able to keep up with the information you need to prevent any slipups. For additional information on software licensing, take a look at these articles:
- "What are the repercussions of a BSA audit?"
- "Manage software licensing compliance... or else"
- "See how this company recovered from a licensing nightmare"
- "Overcome licensing challenges with these tips"
- "Understand the reseller's changing role in Microsoft licensing"
- "Examining Microsoft's new licensing and upgrading policies"