From Firewire to USB, computers have a lot of different ports. And, the number seems to grow every few years. As it’s important for IT pros to know a DVI port from an HDMI port, I put together a quick pop quiz on common external computer connectors. As you take the quick remember the following:
- The pictures are of the computer port, not the corresponding cable connector.
- This quiz doesn’t cover every port and connector in existence. I tried to focus on the most common.
- Some ports have different shapes–USB Type A, Type B, Mini A, and so forth. I tried to use the most common shape.
- The ports/connectors are listed in no particular order.
- I’ve spanned this quiz across multiple pages to limit the length of each page. There are 16 ports to identify.
Note: Unfortunately, our poll tool, which I use to create each pop quiz, doesn’t let me indicate a correct answer after each question. To keep from giving away the answers before everyone has a chance to test his/her knowledge, and ruining all the fun, I’ve published the answers on the last page of this blog post. I encourage everyone to answer all the questions before looking at the last page or using your favorite search engine to find the answers.
Edit: I edited one answer on Question 3 (Figure C) to be more clear. The previous answer was still correct, but a bit confusing. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out.