Excel 2007 has no explicit command that you can use to create a watermark. However, there is a way to simulate a watermark using some of the commands on the Header & Footer Design Ribbon. For example, say you would like to mark all pages of a printed worksheet Confidential. Follow these steps:
- Click anywhere in the worksheet.
- Click the Insert tab and then click Header & Footer in the Text group.
- Under Header, click in the Center section on the Design tab of the Header & Footer Tools in the Header & Footer group.
- Click Picture, then navigate to the file containing the picture and click Insert as we’ve done in Figure A. (This example inserts a PNG file created from a WordArt object in a Word 2007 document.)
- Click Format Picture in the Header & Footer group.
- Click the Picture tab and select Washout from the Color drop-down list (Figure B).
- Click OK.
Excel will include the watermark on all printed pages of the worksheet (Figure C).
Miss an Excel tip?
Check out the Microsoft Excel archive and catch up on other Excel tips.
Help users increase productivity by automatically signing up for TechRepublic’s free Microsoft Office Suite newsletter, featuring Word, Excel, and Access tips, delivered each Wednesday.