If you've attended a web conference using an iPhone, you may have missed some of the meetings because of poor connectivity and limited mobile features in web conferencing client apps. However, with the release of the Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS app and Adobe Connect 9, you can more reliably attend and even host Adobe Connect web conferences using your iPhone. You can also use the app to augment your web conference and control the Adobe Connect features (just login once from your PC and then your iPhone).
Adobe Connect has several different purchase plans, including the option to pay-per-use. Organizations that use Adobe Connect or regularly interact with customers or partners who use Adobe Connect should definitely take advantage of the free Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS app.
Login to Adobe Connect Mobile
Before logging in to Adobe Connect, you may need to receive a username and password from your organization. Once you have this information, follow these steps:
- Download the Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS app
- Open the app, and tap Connect
- Enter the meeting URL for your meeting, and then click Next (Figure A) Figure A
- Tap Member or Guest, depending on how you want to attend the meeting
- If you're a member, enter your login and password
- Click Secure Login
- Tap Enter
Enter the URL of your meeting.
Interacting with Adobe Connect from an iPhoneThe iPhone screen size may not be ideal as a sole web conferencing solution for many users (Figure B). As such, I recommend that users familiarize themselves with Adobe Connect on a PC before they take their web conferences mobile. Figure B
Adobe Connect from Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS.
Use a microphone
You can use the Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS app for audio communications during a meeting if the host requires it. Here's how:
- Tap the microphone icon
- Tap Connect my microphone
- Use the slider to adjust the volume of the microphone (Figure C)
The Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS microphone works over Wi-Fi or cellular access.
Invite and remove other participants
You can invite meeting participants from your iPhone. From the menu, tap Participants and then tap By Email. A precomposed meeting invite appears in your iPhone's email app.
Only Adobe Connect users on a tablet or PC can remove participants from a meeting.
View who else is in the meeting
Tap the list of users. A number appearing next to the icon is the total number of attendees in the meeting (including the hosts).
Assign presenter role to another meeting attendee
Only hosts can assign another presenter. To assign the presenter role to another attendee, follow these steps:
- Tap the name in the Attendee pod
- Tap Host or Presenter
Connect your iPhone camera
You can use the front facing, back camera of your iPhone during a web conference and broadcast the video to other meeting attendees. Here's how to connect your camera:
- Tap the camera icon
- Tap Broadcast (Figure D)
- Switch cameras at any time during the broadcast by tapping the camera icon in the view finder
Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS supports both the front- and rear-facing iPhone cameras.
Interact with the meeting host
You have the following options to interact with the meeting host:
- Tap Raise Hand to respond to the meeting host (Figure E)
- Tap Agree.
- Tap Disagree
- Tap Clear Status
Interact with the meeting host and other meeting attendees.
Chat with other meeting attendees
Follow these steps to chat with meeting attendees:
- Tap chat, which will launch the chat screen
- Tap the chat field to launch your virtual keyboard
- Type a chat message and tap Send. The chat message will appear on your screen (Figure F), and other meeting attendee messages will appear below it.
Chat with other meeting attendees from your iPhone.
Share documentsAdobe Connect 9 puts shared documents in the cloud and for sharing during a web conference. (Note: Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS doesn't support screen sharing on the iPhone.)
To share documents:
- Load your meeting documents into the Adobe Connect Content Library or Sharing Pod using the full Adobe Connect client on a PC or Mac
- Open Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS on your iPhone
- Tap Share
- Tap Start Sharing
- Tap on the document or whiteboard you want to share in the Shared History
Here's how to write a note:
- Tap Note (bottom left-side icon)
- Write your note in the white space (Figure G)
- Tap another icon to leave the note space
Keep notes about the meeting in Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS.
To end a meeting and logout, follow these steps:
- Tap End Meeting to end the meeting (Figure H). A dialog box will appear, asking whether you want to end the meeting for all attendees. If you do, tap End Meeting.
- Tap Logout to exit Adobe Connect. This will return you to the meeting URL screen.
Tap End Meeting to exit the meeting.
Mobile web conferencing from your iPhone
Web conferencing can have a bad rap in certain circles -- even for office workers. The mobile workforce who needs web conferencing access and tools have to be there to ensure a successful meeting. Adobe Connect Mobile for iOS and Adobe Connect 9 show that mobile users can be active participants in a web conference, regardless of their location or connectivity.
Will Kelly is a technical and marketing communications writer based in the Washington, DC area. He has written about SMB technology, data center management, project management applications, mobile computing, Microsoft Office, and productivity applications for online and print technology publications. You can reach Will at firstname.lastname@example.org.