General discussion

startup window 98 system DELL 433GX100

By sweet572003 ·
WHEN I STARTUP MY COUMPUTER SAYS INVALID SYSTEM DISK AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO GO AND FIND MY BOOS AS SOMEONE SAID TO CHECK THEM HELP AND I HAVE TRIED TO GET INTO CMOS AND I CANT EVEN FIND THAT HELP

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to startup window 98 system ...

First, is there a disk in your floppy or CD drive?

If your hard drive is NOT the first device in the boot sequence, and you have a disk in a drive, the BIOS will attempt to boot from a disk before booting from the hard drive.

Second, It is possible that the boot files on the hard drive were deleted or are corrupt.
See if you can boot to a DOS prompt with a W98 startup floppy disk.
Then, see if you can see the files on the hard drive.
Type in the following command and hit enter at the DOS prompt:

dir c:

The screen should flash through a list of folders and files on the hard drive. Then stop with the last few files showing and display the amount of free space on your drive.

If so, type in the following command at the DOS prompt and hit enter:

sys c:

This will refresh the system boot files on the hard drive.

To enter BIOS settings (CMOS) you hit one of a number of keys while the PC is testing your RAM.
The common keys are:
Del
F1
F10

Check the manual foryour Dell, or using the system and serial numbers, get the information from Dell's web site.

Chas

Collapse -

by mzy In reply to startup window 98 system ...

You can't even find CMOS? Do you mean there's password-protect and you can't get it or what. If so this is the way, find the jumper on the mainboard for CMOS and reset it, the dell mainboard book should say which one and how.

Then, go and check your startup order, it should be C: first, or rather the hard disk drive that you have the OS installed on. "Invalid system disk" is either caused by a floppy or a corrupted bootable CD, or a corrupted hard disk. If there are no CDs or floppys in the computer when you startup, try to format and repartition the hard drive, and then reinstall windows. that should do the trick.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to startup window 98 system ...

Actually the proper boot sequence should be first A drive then C drive where c = your hard drive and the third and most often last option is CD. If there isn't a floppy in the drive and it still won't boot the system files have been corupted by either the user who has deleted something and included the "Shared Files" or a virus.
If this is the case your onlyoption is to reload the system and if you have any important data on the drive that you haven't backed up then you will need to pull the drive and install in into another computer and save all your data to a temp folder and then wipe the drive. However if you have an infection just wipe the drive and don't rly on Format as it only wipes every third sector which will leave the virus more or less intact and ready toinfect your system again once you reinstall. What you will need to do is down load wipe from the Hitachi site and wipe the drive, this writes 0's to every sector of the drive and erases everything even the patition information. Once that is done you will have to use the floppy that came with the install disk and first run "FDISK" restart the computer and then run "FORMAT" once this is done you can install Windows again.

As far as getting intothe BIOS {CMOS} you need to push a paricular key or set of keys while the mem check is being performed and your M'Board book will tell you how to do this as it can vary with different M'Boards. Sometimes a password is set into BIOS and if you don't know what it is your only option is to clear the BIOS which normally involved changing a jumper on the M'Board or removing the battery but in the case of the latter make sure first to unplug the computer from the mains or you run the risk of damaging the M'Board.

Collapse -

by Sue T In reply to startup window 98 system ...

Use the F2 function key to enter the BIOS. You should see a prompt on your screen for setup and then press the F2 key.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)