General discussion

100,000 deaths, the reality

By Oz_Media ·
"On the O'Reilly Factor, retired Army Col. David Hunt said it is "confirmed," evidently from his sources, that coalition forces have killed over 100,000 Iraqi military."

"As reported in Friday?s newspapers, the estimate is being treated with considerable skepticism. The motives of the editors of The Lancet were questioned in The New York Times story (tucked away in a single column on page A8), because the study was released in a special Web version before The Lancet?s usual publication date. It is as if the Times were implying that such major news should have been held until after the election. Over at the Washington Post, a researcher for Human Rights Watch criticized the study's method by alleging that the sample was too small. HRW and some other groups have tried to count casualties by using documents, such as press reports. Those estimates have been around 17,000 Iraqi deaths."

"In the study, teams of researchers led by Dr. Les Roberts fanned out across Iraq in mid-September to interview nearly 1,000 families in 33 locations. Families were interviewed about births and deaths in the household before and after the invasion."

So in actuyality what has happened is these pople HAVE conducted an survey based on a reasonable sample when compared to sample sizes used for polls in the USA.

These deaths are NOT ALL DUE TO US ATTACKS THOUGH. These deaths include ALL deaths, the VIOLENT deaths are said to be 2.5 times higher than before the invasion and that's ALL it proves.

"Before the invasion, the most common causes of death in Iraq were heart attacks, strokes and chronic diseases. Afterward, violent death was far ahead of all other causes."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IN the USA rough stats:

14.1 to 1,000 child injury death index
2.2 to 1,000 die from maltreatment

152,921 due to other accidents including; MV (non-traffic), Drowning, Fire/burn, suffocation, falls, natural/environmental each year.

So I suppose including all the other hundreds of ways that children die each year, drugs, abuse, illness and natural/violent deaths, America could also dig up a similar if not far greater number on thier own child population deaths. AND THAT'S JUST CHILDREN!

The issue is that the 100,000 total taken from Iraq is NOT attributable to the Iraqi invasion, they may well have had 100,000 deaths, but this is only said to be a 2.5% increase in violent deaths due to the nature of the fight in Iraq.

Take your stats and look into them next time instead of wasting everyone's time for days on end and then proving that you had a knee jerk reaction and did not qualify your statements.

This stats includes ALL deaths Buicky, not just those directly attributable to war in Iraq. The increase has only been a small percentage over regular deaths. One also must take into consideration the mental state of families interviewed and how they will attribute almost any death to the hostilities in Iraq.

These are FAR from any relevant or accurate numbers, maybe you can get your record to stop skipping now and get back to reality.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

33 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Duh.

re:
These deaths are NOT ALL DUE TO US ATTACKS THOUGH. These deaths include ALL deaths, the VIOLENT deaths are said to be 2.5 times higher than before the invasion and that's ALL it proves.
----- ----- ----- ----- -----

You needed a study to tell you that?

Are you *really* surprised to learn that the US-backed War against the People of Iraq has created more, not less, violent deaths?

I mean, sheesh, you got death camps in Baghdad, dozens of thousands of troops slaughtering the Fallujans and about $1M per day going to funding a war. What could you possibly have expected to come out of this - free elections?

Collapse -

Do you have a clue?

by Oz_Media In reply to Duh.

First of all, you are running off on some heated tangent that makes no sense and supports nothing you have claimed so far.

Second of all, you need to realize just how against this war and the Bush administration I am.

You are still barking up the wrong tree though. You see, in the USA, people are alowed to vote for the person they feel would be best suited to control thier country's affairs for a four year term. This process resulted in GWB being elected, TWICE.

Now, this would generally lead to the conclusion that 300 Million people feel he is the best man. Now whether the entire nation votes for him or not is completely irrelevant, the majority vote will represent the greatest samle of the US population in favour of his leadership.

So anyway, IT'S TOO LATE BUCKY!!

Now, you continuallly go on and on abot 100K dead Iraqi's, when referring to the war,GWB...well and anything else regardless of the topic. This implies that YOU feel the war is responsible for 100K dead Iraqi's. IT ISN'T, based on YOUR numbers, it is responsible for a TWO POINT FIVE PERCENT (2.5%) increase in dead Iraqi's.

Now you say that EVERYONE knows this, which removes ALL impact from such a statement, and yet you continue to throw this number around as if it is relevant and has meaning. In fact I would have thought the percentage much higher.

There are many interpretations of your statistic, and yet they all differ in conclusion. This would then reslut in the stats being invaluable and well.....useless. They survey questions should have specifically targeted a conclusion instead.

So, 100K dead Iraqi's? Who cares? The number is invalid.

NEXT

Collapse -

Republican "conclusions"

by Bucky Kaufman (MCSD) In reply to Do you have a clue?

re:
Now, you continuallly go on and on abot 100K dead Iraqi's, when referring to the war,GWB...well and anything else regardless of the topic. This implies that YOU feel the war is responsible for 100K dead Iraqi's.
---- ---- ---- ----

100,000 - 90,000 - 80,000 - you dispute the deaths, promote the war as a humanitarian mission and claim the Iraqis love us for it - even though they kill a few more of us every single day, day in and day out, week after week, year after year.

But I'm a progressive - open to new ideas. How many dozens of thousands of innocent Iraqis do *you* think the US Republican Guard has killed, or should continue to kill - all of 'em? Only a nother coupla dozen thousand?

I wish you guys were as concerend with Americas' REAL enemies as you are with our brothers and sisters in Iraq.

re:
So, 100K dead Iraqi's? Who cares? The number is invalid.
---- ---- ---- ----
Your casual disregard for Human Life is not very Christian, is it?

Collapse -

Read it again Bucky

by Oz_Media In reply to Republican "conclusions"

Damn, you are so defensive you are completely blind to what you are reading, get some help.

First of all you said "promote the war as a humanitarian mission and claim the Iraqis love us for it " Now I think you were responding to MY comments when you jumped to that retarded conclusion.

-Could you perhaps tell me what gave you the idea that I think such things?

-Did I promote ANYTHING AT ALL here?

"But I'm a progressive - open to new ideas."

Now you are saying things I never said at all, AGAIN.

-when did I say ANYTHING of the sort?

I didn't, I haven't, I am NOT Republican as you would like to suggest.

What you have done here is the most immature defensive rant that I have ever seen from a child yet alone an adult. You keep hearing voices in your head that tell you people are saying things they haven't.

You JUMPED to a rash conclusion based on a STEREOTYPE that you have created for those that oppose you. Everything that you deem negative about the war is all of a sudden bundled into a stereotype that anyone who opposes you MUST fit.

It is childish Bucky, grow up and at least TRY to look like an adult here.

You are SOOOOOOOO wrong it is amusing, I am sure anyone else reading your analogies of me must be rolling with laughter, had you actually been around to hear my complaint BEFORE the election, then you would not be even on the same train of thought. YOu are so far off base it is ridiculous.

Go and get a life Bucky, stand outside the White House with your sign of protest, people here are ready to move on. If you have such deep rooted issues, perhaps you should seek professional help before you cause permanent damage to yourself.

Collapse -

Turn-coat?

by Bucky Kaufman (MCSD) In reply to Read it again Bucky

re:
I didn't, I haven't, I am NOT Republican as you would like to suggest.
---- ---- ---- ----

I was responding to your post saying we should all get together and support Bush. While you may not be a registered Republican, you are indeed advocating their ideals.

re:
had you actually been around to hear my complaint BEFORE the election, then you would not be even on the same train of thought.
----- ----- ----- ----- -----

What caused you to change your mind, and advocate support for Bush?

Collapse -

I haven't, you are 100% incorrect in every way.

by Oz_Media In reply to Turn-coat?

Firstly Bucky, you have been making absurd assumptions about me for a few weeks now, I am NOT Amerrican. I am NOT a Democrat (never was) nor am I a Republican (never was).

You sir are 100% incorrect and way off base in your quick, unqualified analogies of my character.

A "turncoat", for realizing that it is too late to do ANYTHING about it other than move on and live my life, I am a turncoat,

For understanding that the majority of voting Americans chose Bush, for whetever reasons, regardless of all other issues put forward and his opponents challenges, I am a turncoat.

For accepting that I cannot do anything at this point other than be a broken record just like you I am a turncoat.

YOU ARE WRONG, NOT EVEN FORMING A SINGLE LOGICAL THOUGHT. YOU NEED HELP.

Do you still complain because Bobby wouldn't ket you play first base in grade 3?

You also said, "What caused you to change your mind, and advocate support for Bush?"

What possibly gives you the idea that I advocate support for Bush? Because I have the mental capacity to understand that America voted for him as president for a seond term?

You sir need to get over your denial and come to terms with reality.

You have a fantastic, yet not clever, knack for asking questions, without answering questions asked of yourself.

You have an uncanny ability to dwell on the rhetoric and irrelevancies of US political affairs. QUoting 100K dead as if you have a point, knowing all along it is an inflated and extremely inacacurate GUESSTIMATE.

You are completely insane, you have no thought process, no logic, no common sense and no reason at all. I'd say you were brain dead as of Nov. 1st.

Collapse -

Political Affairs - Irrelevent?

re:
You have an uncanny ability to dwell on the rhetoric and irrelevancies of US political affairs.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

What makes you think US political affairs are irrelevent? That's just nuts.

Collapse -

Uh, you still just asking questions and not answering them ?

by Oz_Media In reply to I haven't, you are 100% i ...

Well you have responded to yet another post without answering questions already asked of you.

You are not worth my nor anyone's time. You are simply an idiot disguised as a lunatic.

Of course political affairs are not irrelevant, the issues YOU have raised are. THERE IS NOTHING YOU NOR I CAN DO TO CHANGE THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

You are wasting YOUR time, MY time and EVERYONE else's time with your incessant rambling on ridiculous claims.

Get a life before you start asking people more questions, especially if you have no answers yourself.

Collapse -

Dishonest Request

The reason I haven't answered your questions to your satisfaction is because you haven't asked any legitimate questions.

Do you still kick your dog, or have you advanced to beating your family?

If you want some honest answers, you'll need to ask some honest questions.

Collapse -

Oz...why bother

by Packet Spoofer In reply to Read it again Bucky

Oz, you put a lot of time into responding to a guy that obviously has his head lodged where the son does not shine.....my question is....why? there are alot of thoughtful discussions you could be engaging in rather than being set off by this nutcase....

Back to Community Forum
33 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next