General discussion

About Users Rights in Windows 2000

By ask_anurag ·
Hi,
I have single windows 2000 professional with cdrom and cd-writer.I created 5 users on my single w2k prof.I want only administrator can use cdrom and cd-writer not the other users.How can i restrict my other users not to use cdrom,cd-writer and floopy disk.

Regards.

Anurag.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by scott.heath In reply to About Users Rights in Win ...

This article may be your best bet: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q231289&

I haven't researched it, but it should work. If it doesn't remember that you can put the users in a group and scale back their access using group policies in other ways. If you can keep them away from the drives you can prevent them running installs or launching programs for burning. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Collapse -

by d.walker5 In reply to About Users Rights in Win ...

Open MMC. Add Media Storgage and Group Policy. To restrict the CD ROM open Media Storgage, Libraries, right click the CD ROM, click proteries, click security. Set permissions to allow those users you want to have access.

To restrict the A drive. Open Group Policy, User Configurations Windows Components, Windows Explorer. Click hide these drives and on computer. Clisck to select the sprecified drives in My Computer check box. Click the approciate oprion. Click the explain tab for and explanation. I do not recommend you restrict the A drive.

Collapse -

by ask_anurag In reply to About Users Rights in Win ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)