General discussion

Access 2000 and Windows XP

By shihalud ·
I am running MS Access 2000 SR1a on Windows XP. I have a database that launches a startup menu when it is opened. The problem I am having is that when I am logged in under the USER (non-admin) account in XP, and I try to launch the database from a shortcut on the desktop the Windows Installer app starts but doesn?t identify what it is trying to load. I also tried on MS template databases (Contact Management) and its does that same thing. I don?t have this problem if I am logged on under the administrator account. Also if I launch Access first and then open the database everything is fine. Any ideas?? Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tduval In reply to Access 2000 and Windows X ...

If I remember it correctly, you need read/write rights to execute access MDB.

Change your local or network rights in accordance.

Collapse -

by shihalud In reply to Access 2000 and Windows X ...

File already set to allow full sharing access. I don't know if this matters but the file I am trying to acccess is on a 98SE machine and I am running a small peer-to-peer network, and the files are on the 98SE machine. Internal access is also ok because if I open MS Access and then the file everyting is ok. Thanks again

Collapse -

by Karpi In reply to Access 2000 and Windows X ...

Hello,

O2K needs to do some registry editing for a user starting 02kk(XP) the first time.

Just point the installer to the folder/CD from where Office was installed.

HTH
Karpi
<fluctuat nec mergitur>

Collapse -

Tried this already and it doesn't go any further than saying it is starting to load, put in CD and nothing happens.

Collapse -

karpi - your answer wound up being correct, the reason that it did not work before is because the user account was not allowed to download or install any new prograrm. So I changed the user to allow installation and the installer found what it needed on the second disk of Office 2000 Pro. And subsequent testing I had to load whatever file thru the same process for each user account that tries to open a MS Access DB from a shortcut. If anyone knows what that file is would like to know. Thanks again Karpi!

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)