General discussion

Access 2000 - Increase field Size

By patricewag ·
I need to increase the size of an existing field from 150 to 250 characters. Anyone suggest the best way without having to create a new field and delete the old?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ckeenan In reply to Access 2000 - Increase fi ...

in the design view change the field size from 150 to 250. unless this is a trick question??

Collapse -

by patricewag In reply to Access 2000 - Increase fi ...

Yes, we could have it changed in the design view but we are looking to do it in the Code

Collapse -

by Lo In reply to Access 2000 - Increase fi ...

Why would you want to put it in the code? I is normally a one-time change (or not too frequent, 6 moths to a year or more). Such changes lead to many othere issues depending on the database.

You should make design changes such as that as infrequently as possible. You should also take a look at all fields when you need to make a change and if possible make them all at the same time. May involve various code changes depending on what/where how. Remember to make same/similar change to any archive database, copies, tapes, etc. so you have a compatible throughout.

My $.02 worth.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Tim Parkins In reply to Access 2000 - Increase fi ...

As mentioned above, it is not a good practice to perform such changes in the code. I don't believe it is possible to modify the size or datatype of an existing field using the ALTER TABLE statement. The only alternative if you insist on doing this in your code is to add a new column and delete the old one as you suggest.

I would strongly recommend NOT making these changes in your code.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)