General discussion

Access 97 or 2000 Security at the Record

By aheller ·
Initiate security at the record level. I would like to assign only a group of records to each User. Each record contains a Department Number. Only certain Users or groups of Users can access all or some of the departments throughout the entire application based on their Login Name. I expect to add code to all queries that will pass through a function that checks the table for the appropriate departments to filter. Is there an easier way.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mcorr In reply to Access 97 or 2000 Securit ...

There is no built-in record-level security in Access. This is something you are going to have to develop into the tables and queries.

First off each table with this security will need a column for a security code, which is what your queries will need to check against.

One thing you can do to make things easier on your self is using an intermediate query. This query does the security check, but nothing else and returns all rows in a table. Then all your other queries call that query instead of the table directly (and use the security in that query transparently).

Collapse -

by aheller In reply to Access 97 or 2000 Securit ...

I like the quick response. The answer is very logical and workable. Thank you.

Back to Web Development Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)