Question

Acer Aspire 5100 Recovery Problems

By GSCook ·
I purchased the recovery disc and when I start with the systems disk the ramdisc loads. A quick F6 prompt for outside drivers and then the please wait and it locks up. Any idea's?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

How long does it lock up for?

Sometimes it might seam locked, but it is still loading.

Collapse -

Lock Up Time

by GSCook In reply to How long does it lock up ...

I have let it set for 90 minutes plus with no activity.

Collapse -

Check the optical drive light for activity ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Recovery ...

Then you'll know if it REALLY is locked up or not.

* You didn't mention the need for the Recovery Disc - what happened to the Recovery Partition?

What is the general health of the HDD you are attempting to Recover back to?

Edited for *

Collapse -

Activity

by GSCook In reply to Check the optical drive l ...

No activity light. Replaced bad hd. Is a new hd.

Collapse -

Have you altered this unit in any way?

by OH Smeg In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 Recovery ...

I would start checking the RAM with Mem Test or something similar and also the HDD. You'll need the HDD Makers Testing Utility so you'll either need to download from it's makers Web Site or use the Ultimate Boot CD

http://www.livecdlist.com/ultimate-boot-cd

if you use the Ultimate Boot CD you'll have just about all of the Diagnostic Utilities required to test the System.

Also are there any marks or damage on the Data Side of the Recovery Disc? It is always possible that this got damaged in Transit to you.

Col

Collapse -

Altered

by GSCook In reply to Have you altered this uni ...

New Drive and no scratches on disc. I can install older copy of XP Pro even though it is a SATA drive (I was told I couldn't) but with XP install I can't find drivers that will work so all the errors are not handled. Things like the ATI Control won't load properly and I can't get the sound working or the network cards even though they show up in the devices with no problems. I have gone to a local Tech and he gave up.

Collapse -

As OM said above you need the XP Drivers

by OH Smeg In reply to Altered

If you want to install XP. Normally when you install Windows you need to then install the required drivers after you install the OS. So things like Sound, Network Interfaces and Video work.

I would try using the links that Older Mycroft supplied to download the XP Drivers and then install them if you want to use XP.

But failing that I would get another Install Disc to install Vista because there is obviously something wrong with the Disc that you have.

Col

Back to Smartphones Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)