Question

• Creator
    Topic

Acer Aspire 9410z WLAN no working?

by sixline ·

Hi
    My Acer Aspire 9410z came with pre-installed vista home premium. One day my computer just failed to login and I was left with no option but to re-install os. I formatted with windows xp bootable disk not knowing the alt-f10 command. After installing xp professional sp3 I downloaded all the drivers from acer website. All are working fine except wlan. My device manager is showing Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter with yellow exclamation. I have downloaded drivers from different acer regional sites but still with no luck. I have also installed vista again and also windows 7 but problem still persists. Now I am using windows xp proffessional The dedicated button on my laptop for wlan is working but it seems that no device is detected. I badly need wifi to be working. Help needed!

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by sixline ·

In reply to Acer Aspire 9410z WLAN no working?

Clarifications

Well, assuming that the hardware is OK

by robo_dev ·

then it’s simply the case of using the incorrect device driver.

You might try going directly to http://www.broadcom.com instead of Acer

Also instead of relying on what Windows is telling you

by oh smeg ·

It may be worthwhile using the Unknown Device Identifier to identify your WLAN Device. After all if it’s not a Broadcom device it doesn’t matter how many times you install Broadcom drivers it’s not going to work. 😉

http://www.fileheap.com/software-unknown-device-identifier-download-34861.html

According to Acer AU there are 3 Brands of WLAN possible one is Broadcom another is Intel and the last is Atheros. If you installed a Broadcom Driver it will be incorrectly identifying the Hardware as Broadcom when it’s likely to be Atheros depending on when you purchased the unit.

Col

Reponse To Answer

by sixline ·

In reply to Also instead of relying on what Windows is telling you

I have tried all three from Broadcom, Atheros and Intel but with same result. Of Broadcom I am sure because my device manager automatically finds it but failed to install driver. Here is a view of my device manager

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2vjse2a.jpg[/IMG]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So what does the Unknown Device Identifier call it?

by oh smeg ·

That is what you need to use here.

With Dell’s there is sometimes a Driver Install Order but that isn’t something that I’ve run across with Acer units yet.

Col

Reponse To Answer

by sixline ·

In reply to So what does the Unknown Device Identifier call it?

Thanks a lot all ofyou. I will download device detector and let you know

Reponse To Answer

by sixline ·

In reply to So what does the Unknown Device Identifier call it?

yes I have installed unknown device identifier. It also is saying that my wlan adapter is from Broadcom:

Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
        Chip: Broadcom Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
        Detail
        PnpID
        VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_04221468&REV_01
        Vendor
        Broadcom
        Device
        Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
        Chip Vendor
        Broadcom
        Chip
        Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Now WHAT???

RE: [i]Now WHAT???

by oh smeg ·

Well you ain’t going to like this but apparently you need to install the Device Drivers for this Model [b]In Order[/b] for them all to work.

So that means starting the install process all over again and installing the drivers ideally something like this. Sound, Video, WiFi and long before applying any Windows Service Packs or connecting to the Windows Update Servers.

At least now you know which Broadcom Driver you need. 😉

Col

It works!

by sixline ·

Thanks a lot guys. i googled for netwrok adapter and installed the right driver. Thanks again

Viewing 5 reply threads