General discussion

Backup Exchange 2000

By williamoshea ·
Dear Colleagues,
I wish to know how to backup the information store on my exchange server in case it died........ What file on the exchange server do i need to backup in order to guarantee myself a good chance of getting back both the e-mails and other configuration settings?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Backup Exchange 2000

This article covers the topic fairly well:

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/MF020.html

Note to do what is known as a "brick-level mailbox restore," you are going to have to have a third-party backup solution.

Collapse -

by Skidoggeruk In reply to Backup Exchange 2000

Get a 3rd party backup tool with a exchange component, preferably with the ability to restore singular postboxes, as this is where the bulk of your real-world restores will be occuring.

Check if it will support a Disaster Recovery Restore type thing, where you boot into a DR that recovers your entire server from Tape.

Please do your shopping on this, as people's opinions vary on these products.

Goos Luck

BK

Collapse -

by tim731 In reply to Backup Exchange 2000

Hi,

If use use the NTBackup and Powertools http://www.ontrack.com/powercontrols/ this will open the backup file and let you restore mail to inboxs on the new server
also useful for when someone needs an email from a backup for a year ago

If you can get another server(the same as your exchange server for ebay)
Then get a copy of V2I or what ever Norton call it now and make a complete image from one and restore to the other

Costs
Powertools ?600-1200 depends on size of company
V2I ?350
Server(ebay)?? depends on spec of server

Servername,Drive config,whats on what drive,ip address,exchange name,default policy incoming email addresses,

Collapse -

by dsharma In reply to Backup Exchange 2000

Here at microsoft we recommend always using NTBackup it has enough APIs to take full online backup. We get many calls everyday with people saying they are facing problem with backup software. In all the scebario it works fine with NTBackup.

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)