General discussion

Backup Exchange Server 2000/Win2k Server

By ganesh ·
I have a main office having Windows 2000 server active directory domain running exchange 2000 server on it. Goal is to have a backup exchange server in one of the 5 branch offices, if the main office completely is cut off from the branch offices. All offices are connected via the Internet by Sonicwall VPN. I want the backup server to be functional with all mailboxes when main office is cut off. No need to sync always. I'm looking for best backup/restore solution.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rance In reply to Backup Exchange Server 20 ...

The best solution to use would be Commvault and their Qinetix product. They provide a solution for all scenarios and are always first to market with new technologies and products.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Backup Exchange Server 20 ...

At the end of your question, you say " Im looking for best backup/restore solution", yet most of the question deals with clustering Exchange servers or having an Exchange server sitting someone as a backup in case the "functioning one" goes down.

So, with that there really isn't such a thing as a "backup" Exchange server just like there isn't a Primary domain controller and a backup domain controller. Both terms which date back to the days of NT [1990s].

Because Exchange intergrates with Active Directory you can can "cluster" or "round robin" Exchange servers on your network just like you can have multiple Domain Controllers with the Global Catalog roles so that if one fails users aren't impacted.

Which do you want? a Backup/restore solution or how to cluster exchange servers?

Backup and restore I'd say use Backup Exec or try CA Associate's Brightstor.

But your question is misleading

Collapse -

by ganesh In reply to Backup Exchange Server 20 ...

Thanks for the suggestions. At this time, we don't want to invest on any sync software. We are not look ing to cluster servers too. All that we need to have is to have a standby exchange server ready to be functioning as quick as possible, when the main office gets cut off in case of disaster.

Collapse -

by ganesh In reply to Backup Exchange Server 20 ...

will this work:

1. install another windows 2000 server and make it as an additional domain controller in the same domain.
2. install exchange server on the 2nd server

Now what to do? Is there a way to just copy mailboxes from one exchange server to another exchange server? When the main office gets cut off, can we just restore mailboxes only to the second server, so that users have access to all their emails till the last backup?

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)