General discussion

Can I get a 25,000 point refund - OR - View All Open Questions Link?

By maxwell edison ·
I spent 25,000 points in an attempt to get back the "view all open questions" link.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6239-0.html?forumID=48&threadID=**843&start0

Is the missing link a glitch, or is it by design?

If it's by design, I think you'll see (by reviewing that old question) that it's a most unpopular move.

(Wow, that was 2-1/2 years ago! Time flys when you're ........... doing whatever it is we do here.)

Thanks guys.

Just kidding about the refund.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

29 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Ask For Help

by maxwell edison In reply to Can I get a 25,000 point ...

Just noticed the change in your tabs. Hey, I think this might be a good way to keep technical questions out of the technical discussions. We'll cross our fingers.

Collapse -

You stumbled on our Thursday reveal

by Jay Garmon Contributor In reply to Ask For Help

We're trying to solve that problem based on the TR Insiders' feedback. I'll post details in a clean thread later today.

--Jay

Collapse -

Stumbling Around

by BFilmFan In reply to You stumbled on our Thurs ...

Well ya know some of us just live to see what question is going to be asked next in the technical forums.

I've got an idea for a Geek Trivia question. What was the name of the first Thanksgiving turkey spared by a US President?

Collapse -

The name of the first Thanksgiving turkey

by maxwell edison In reply to Stumbling Around

The first National Thanksgiving Day turkey was presented to President Harry Truman in 1947.

President Truman, as we all know, was from Missouri, the show me state. And as he sat down at the dinner table on that cold November evening, he said, "Show me the bird".

There they were, the first-family, sitting at the first-dinner table, just salivating over the thoughts of feasting on a golden, juicy Thanksgiving Day first-turkey. But the turkey was nowhere to be seen. "Show me the bird", again exclaimed President Truman. But still no turkey. "Bess, where's the bird", asked the president? "Well Harry, said Bess Truman, the president's wife, "I'll go see what the problem is".

A few minutes later Bess returned from the first-kitchen, but she informed the president that she couldn't stay because it was so hot in there, and as a result she didn't find out the status of the bird. "Well", said the president, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I'll go find out myself". "Okay, Harry", said Bess Truman, "give em' ****." "I never give them ****", said the president, "I just tell the truth and they think it's ****. And the truth is, I want my g***d**** bird!"

Well, the White House chef, hearing what was going on in the first-dining room, was literally in a panic because "the bird" was not quite cooked, and if he couldn't come up with something very quickly, then he'd be cooked. But Margaret Truman, the president's twenty-four year old daughter, noticing the panicked look on the chef's face, quickly attempted to do divert the president's attention from the uncooked bird by saying, "But father, let me first show you my new piano composition". Well, being the doting father that he was, not to mention the only one in Washington that believed his daughter's piano playing ability was anything but awful, quickly agreed to listen.

So as Bess played her very own rendition of the president's favorite song, the Missouri Waltz, the kitchen staff scrambled to hurry-up the process of cooking the first-turkey. The chef cranked up the oven's heat to well over 500 degrees hoping to quickly get it done before Bess finished her song. But luck was running out on the kitchen staff, just as it had on the others present who has to suffer through the agonizing spectacle that only a loving father could call piano playing. "Play it again, Bess", said President Truman, so on and on she played, well into the evening.

"OH NO", came a scream from the kitchen, which was, at this point, about as hot as Hades. "We can't stand it in here", cried the kitchen staff. "It's too hot", they all cried. "Well, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen", said the president. "But Mr. President", said the first-chef, "the turkey. It's burnt. It can't be eaten".

"Well, g***d**** it", said the president. "All I wanted was a cooked bird, but I got defeated. I got defeated by a g***d**** bird. Well, No Thanksgiving Day turkey for me."

And as always, the press had to report on the story the next day, as newspapers all over the country splashed a headline about how the president failed to get his turkey dinner.

Dewey Defeats Truman, was the headline.

----------

So to answer your question, the name of the first Thanksgiving Day turkey was, of course, Dewey.

Collapse -

ROTFL

by BFilmFan In reply to The name of the first Tha ...

Thanks. After a long day here at the office cranking out Visio documents that is exactly the story I needed to be told!

Collapse -

HEY! Tech Q&A is gone!!

by Oz_Media In reply to Can I get a 25,000 point ...

Vanished, disappeared, vamoosed, scrammed, buggered awf!! :)

What are you guys up to now?

Collapse -

Jesus Pleasus am I ever an idiot!

by Oz_Media In reply to HEY! Tech Q&A is gone!!

Well here I am complaining for two years about the title of Tech Q&A and how much easier navigation would be if it was renamed "Get Help" or something similar. (Still feeling like quite a dolt now)

So I take a QUICK glance beside Discussions, NO Tech Q&A (wanted to see what Max was referring to because the "View all open questions" link has ALWAYS been there for me on te Tech Q&A page.

In my haste I quickly post about it being removed, a few minutes later (ding-****) "Ask for Help" is in the toolbar, what a fool!

In MY defense though, I have been here a while and hardly read the links now,I know where they are and it wasn't where it USED to be.

A new user would definitely notice it.

IMHO, MAYBE move it left of Discussions on the nav bar and highlight it (almost like a 'super feature'). Or create a NEW FEATURE notice to point it out or describe it. I think the best idea is to make it the FIRST place people see and think of going for help, It could be a separate button all together or even a highlighted DIV somewhere that is like a SOLVE IT button or something,but other than that I like the changes,it's very nice to see such proactive and positive changes occuring. :)

Collapse -

Strange Behavior

by TheChas In reply to Can I get a 25,000 point ...

Max,

My link to all questions is still working.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5204-6239-0.html?forumID=34&all=1&start=0

Interestingly, I cannot easily switch over to the Discussion Center from the TQ&A page with just a single click like I could just yesterday.

The Discussion Center link on both the All Questions and the TQ&A main page is blanked out.

I must click on "Home" and I can then go to the Discussion Center.

Looks like more site update fun.

Chas

Collapse -

The Ask For Help/Discussions toggle is fixed

by Jay Garmon Contributor In reply to Strange Behavior

We rolled out the bug fix about two minutes ago. You can now jump between the sections using the top nav. Let me know if the problem recurs. I'm working on resurfacing the All Open Questions link.

--Jay

Collapse -

He's right Chas

by Oz_Media In reply to Can I get a 25,000 point ...

Sorry Max, I didn't see the new pages.

I see what he is talking about too Chas,
http://techrepublic.com.com/5221-6239-0.html

Your link is what I want to see but how did you get there from the link I posted?

Now I suppose this page is in it's infancy now so maybe a good time to mention, use a find and replace tool to swap all the 'Tech Q&A' references to 'Ask For Help' (such as in the Guidelines and FAQ pages).

Back to Community Forum
29 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next