General discussion

Can't delete email dated 12/31/1969

By buggababy ·
A user has 2 blank emails showing up in her Netscape email. The date of the email is 12/31/1969 with no address, IP or message source. When both are deleted, she clicks on the trash folder and only one appears. Once deleted she goes back to the Inbox and both messages are there again. Closing Netscape email doesn't work either. Once it's reopened the emails are there again. Running WinXP SP2 home edition & Netscape 7.1. Spybot, Ad-aware & CWShredder show no virus. Any ideas?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jguasch In reply to Can't delete email dated ...

is she runing POP? Then configure it to not leave a copy on the server.

Collapse -

by buggababy In reply to

That didn't work. The server settings under the email account are already set to not leave email on the server, so I had her check the box to leave messages on the server, and also checked to delete messages on the server when they are deleted or moved from Inbox. Empty trash on exit is also checked. Closed email down went back in and there are the 2 emails again. They have the unopened envelope icon, however they do not show up as a new email in parenthesis beside the Inbox.

Collapse -

Can you try and have her access her email from another workstation and see if it shows the same problem there. I'm just trying to isolate the problem to see if it is a server side or a problem with the workstation.

What is the server?

Collapse -

by buggababy In reply to

Our server here is running Windows 2000 server. I don't know what the ISP is running. Our email comes from their server. As noted in the comment above, I asked her to log on to webmail and she says it's not there on the ISP's server so I am thinking it is a problem at her workstation. Like I mentioned before, she has ran Ad-Aware and a virus scan and nothing shows up. She has also ran CWShredder and it didn't pick up anything. Still at a loss as to what's happening.

Collapse -

by buggababy In reply to Can't delete email dated ...

I have asked her to close her email and log in to the webmail online and see if the messages can be deleted from there. I'll update as soon as I know something more, hoepfully today.

Collapse -

If you want to clear all emails including the problem email, rename INBOX.msf under

C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\tra92mo6.slt\ImapMail\"mailserver".

Or search for INBOX.msf and rename that. It will clear everything in your inbox. If you want to save some emails in there, move them first.

Collapse -

by buggababy In reply to

Thanks, she moved the email, then deleted the inbox and closed the email. When she reopened, the inbox was back minus the 2 annoying emails.

Collapse -

by buggababy In reply to Can't delete email dated ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)