General discussion

China slaughters 50,000 dogs using barbaric methods

By TechExec2 ·
This story is so outrageous, I had to post it. As I work and as I write this, there is a dog sleeping under my desk who has no idea how lucky she is to not live in China. Excerpts, comments, and links follow.

Express your opinion. It might make a difference.

Excerpts:

"...China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies..."

"...The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county that ended Sunday spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported..."

"...Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, other killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then homed in on their prey, the reports said..."

"...Authorities set up checkpoints on all major roads leading into and out of the county. Any dogs found in vehicles were subject to immediate execution..."

"...County residents interviewed by phone said the killing appeared indiscriminate. They said about 4,000 dogs already vaccinated against rabies were among those slaughtered, because of the slight chance they could spread the disease..." [dumb, really dumb]

"...Early today, state media reported that the city of Jining, in Shandong province, which has about 500,000 dogs, would start killing canines because 16 people had died of rabies in the last eight months..." [it continues]

Comments:

I like the Chinese people. And, China has a serious rabies problem to solve. But, forcibly taking ALL dogs away from their owners and CLUBBING them to death in the street is not the way to solve it. This affected ALL dogs, not just those who were not vaccinated, or who bit someone, or were sick, or who were suspected might become sick.

Dogs are intelligent animals who feel pain and fear. You don't have to be a bleeding heart liberal (I'm certainly not) to know this is BARBARIC, HEARTLESS, and STUPID.

China can put a man in space. Why can't they find a humane way to deal with this problem?

Ironically, this is the year of the dog on the Chinese calendar.

Links:

Chinese county clubs to death 50,000 dogs
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

China slaughters 50,000 dogs
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/01/world/main1855386.shtml

Second mass dog slaughter in China
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/04/china.dogs.ap/

Rabies outbreak prompts Chinese county to kill its dogs
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-dog4aug04,1,7562230.story?coll=la-news-a_section

edited for typo

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

52 total posts (Page 1 of 6)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Other animals can spread rabies

by oldbag In reply to China slaughters 50,000 d ...

While it is admirable that they are attempting to control rabies, it needs to be pointed out that bats, squirrels, fox, racoons, and other wild animals can spread the disease. I was raised on a farm and personally witnessed a cow (yes a cow) die of it. My father, brother and a local vet required treatment.

While I am not really a dog person, this sounds like an overaction. Do they not have the correct vaccines if someone is bitten by a suspect animal? Or is treatment too costly for individuals?

Collapse -

Good points

by TechExec2 In reply to Other animals can spread ...

Good points. Thanks for your post.

According to the articles, the problem is that China does not have appropriate disease control in place, for the people or for the animals.

China is an economic powerhouse on a global scale. This is low-tech stuff. Cost should not be a factor. This is a matter of choice. The wrong choice.

Excerpts:

"...rates of rabies vaccination [of dogs] remain extremely low at only about 3 percent, according to the center..."

and

"...Access to appropriate rabies treatment is also highly limited, especially in the countryside, said Dr. Francette Dusan, a World Health Organization expert on diseases passed from animals to people.

Effective rabies control requires coordinated efforts between human health, animal health and municipal agencies and authorities, Dusan said.

This has not been pursued adequately to date in China, with most control efforts consisting of purely reactive dog culls, she said...."

Collapse -

DOG CULL

by oysterwatch In reply to Other animals can spread ...

One more thing. I found this site by googling the phrase "IS CHINA A BRUTAL REGIME?" That is how I found Tech Republic! So clearly, even though this is an old blog, the problem is as big as the population of that country, and is not likely to ever go away in our lifetime. Off topic, here, I still think that everyone should participate in the Olympics. It is a good way to show solidarity in the sporting world, and I don't think it in any way legitimizes that brutal regime. I have seen blogs that have 70% of people voting that it is immoral to go there. Let's keep things separate. We can participate in the Olympics, and if we have to go to war with the Leninist elite a week later, so be it.

Collapse -

Compassion

by ProtiusX In reply to China slaughters 50,000 d ...

This is a country that doesn't have a great reputation for compassion for anything. There rate of infanticide makes the US look good in comparison. I'm talking about killing babies in and out of the womb. The Chinese don't give a fig about human life so what makes you think they will care about the sanctity of a dog?s life?

Collapse -

Sad but true

by TechExec2 In reply to Compassion

Sad but true. Thanks for your post.

Something to think about.

Collapse -

Oops. This discussion has been buried by TechRepublic.

by TechExec2 In reply to China slaughters 50,000 d ...

Not my site. Not my rules. I understand and respect this.

I didn't realize this when I wrote this non-tech post: TechRepublic chooses to bury certain discussions, apparently because they do not fit the professional and tech theme. This includes things like "Friday Yuk", etc.

This dog slaughter story is a hot topic on the Internet and is spreading like wildfire. This thread got two postings almost immediately, then it suddenly disappeared from "New Discussions". It's been silent ever since (about 10 hours) because it is hard to find.

So, don't bother posting comments here. If you want to share your thoughts about this, find somewhere else on the Internet that welcomes such discussions and share them there. There is no point in posting if virtually nobody is going to see it. And, it won't help the canines in China.

I did not intend to waste anyone's time, especially my own. No hard feelings.

Collapse -

I never did see this discussion

by maxwell edison In reply to Oops. This discussion has ...

Isn't that interesting?

Collapse -

Just saw this myself

by jdclyde In reply to I never did see this disc ...

here it is, Sunday night, and would not have ever found it if Max wouldn't have posted.

I really am starting to wonder about the whole hot discussion listing. Is there someone new running it that has an abundance of time on their hands?

Hey TR, do you really think that the majority of members would rather only see hard core tech 24/7?

Collapse -

Not buried

by ProtiusX In reply to Oops. This discussion has ...

I am sure Techrepublic didn't "bury" the thread. People post to what they want to. If they don't consider your post relevant to their individual lives then they won't post. Remember that what may be important to you may not be to someone else.

Collapse -

I saw it disappear and TR admits it.

by TechExec2 In reply to Not buried

This discussion appears on "New Discussions" between two other ones one minute and disappeared the next.

From the "Discussions" page, click on "View more new discussions". This page omits the "buried" discussions. This one and "Friday Yuk" fell into that category. Then, at that bottom of that page, click on "All new discussions". The next page shows them all. You have to catch the "burying" before the new discussion falls out of the "latest 40" to see this happen.

Suspecting this was not an accident I did a Google search on "off-topic hide" and found this page. Scroll down to where it says "Too hot for TR". It was pretty easy to find.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=96&threadID=172000&start=0

Back to Community Forum
52 total posts (Page 1 of 6)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next