General discussion

Common Dialog Box Error--Win2000

By TranMan ·
I have a VB program (6.0 Pro) that has been running fine on NT4 machines for over a year. Just installed it on a Win2000 machine and it will not run. First it refused to find a system DSN that was on the machine (and worked under Access). I workedaround that with ole db-no real problem. Next, the program tried to open a Common Dialog box, in order to pick a file for processing.
Program immediately dies with Error number 32765 "Common dialog function failed during initialization. Error often occurs when insufficient memory is available."
This machine has 512 MB RAM, and 700 Pagefile
and no other programs running. And, here again, the program runs fine under NT.
The file commdlg.dll is in place and registered. MS site does not mention this problem. Anyone out there have a clue???
Paul

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by kevin.riggs In reply to Common Dialog Box Error-- ...

What service pack do you have installed? I believe 4 is the latest sp for Visual Studio 6 (including VB 6). I run sp3 because that is what our office wrote as specs before 4 came out. We have a mix of Win2K and NT4 boxes and trade code via sourcesafe every day.

If you have a recent sp installed, have you checked your COMDLG32.ocx to verify that it isn't corrupted? This wouldn't be a solution to your DSN problem but it would be one step in verifying the copy on your machine. For that matter, have you tried reinstalling VB? I'd try the service pack first, followed by copying that Common Dialog Control ocx from my old machine and if those two things fail, I'd just reinstall and see if that improved the functionality.

Collapse -

by TranMan In reply to Common Dialog Box Error-- ...

Was at SP4-have since upgraded to SP5. No help. Have reinstalled VB. Comdlg32.ocx is the same as the one in my NT machine that works. Any other ideas appreciated.

Collapse -

by RRV In reply to Common Dialog Box Error-- ...

Answer is simple. Install VB SP4 or above. Now SP5 is available for download in microsoft site. This solves common dialog, mshflexgrid, ADODB, setup, array, etc errors in VB. you can see the bugs list and which SP has the solution also in the site.

All the best.

RV

Collapse -

Was at SP4-have since upgraded to SP5. No help. Have reinstalled VB. Comdlg32.ocx is the same as the one in my NT machine that works. Any other ideas appreciated.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)