General discussion

compaq presario 7170,no drivers for 98se

By jennex_kyle ·
I am running windows 98se on my presario 7170 It was installed from dos(not an upgrade).I cant get it out of dos compatability mode.Are there drivers I can get to run in 32bit mode?I need them for both my hard drives and my cd-rom.I have been told that reinstalling 95 might fix my problem but, do I realy need to do that?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Paul D. Masley In reply to compaq presario 7170,no d ...

Compaq, along with HP, Gateway and Dell apparently had a little party and decided to make everybodys life complicated by sending a recovery disk instead of an o/s and driver disk. I went through this with an HP that had everything on the mother board. Most people will disagree with me but SE appears to be most stable. Stay away from ME with this computer.

First, find out what chipset you have. If it is VIA, you will have to use the recovery disk and start from there. If it is Intel, use your recovery disk, then find some buddies that has just the 98 Upgrade. Upgrade to 98, then reinstall SE over the top. This should get you all the drivers that you need.

Before you go this route, try this simple procedure. Make a directory on your hard drive, say c:\WIN98. Copy the entire SE cd to this directory.

Go into your device manager and remove the Hardrives, and CD and refresh the screen. If this does not make a change, remove the controller (you should have four listed) and then refresh, point the driver request to the c:\win98 directory and let it search and install. This may solve your problem.

Paul.

Collapse -

by jennex_kyle In reply to compaq presario 7170,no d ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by GIJoe In reply to compaq presario 7170,no d ...

Is this still a problem?

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)