General discussion

Concurrent use of Excel 97 and Excel 200

By Securitytech ·
We are still using office 97 as our standard. However, due to memory leaks encountered in excel 8, we are having to use excel 10 for one specific analysis spreadsheet. This solution has been tested and works fine.

The problem is that we need to associate all spreadsheet file extensions with excel 8, this is because we have about 25,000 other spreadsheets with a lot of VB crap and macros which we don't want to test just yet. We will code excel xp into the code of the app which will launch the sheet we need. Now, we have tried associating the files normally but whenever we try to open one, it opens in the most recent version of excel (10). Have tried both local and network installations of excel 97 with no improvement. Since we have about 3000 users at just this site, it is not possible or realistic to have end users open excel 8 and then open the sheet we need.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Concurrent use of Excel 97 and Excel 200

by TheChas In reply to Concurrent use of Excel 9 ...

I believe what you will need to do, is create a registry patch that deletes the Excel 10 associations, and inserts Excel 8 associations.

You will also need to disable ANY options in Excel 10 that automatically take over the file associations.

As to specifics, I don't have a copy of Office 2000, so I can't check any details.

Chas

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)